My enclosed high powered hotspot

Post information / pictures of your gear here!
ZL2EZ

My enclosed high powered hotspot

Post by ZL2EZ » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:00 am

Got the comms case dirt cheap.

Yaesu FT1500M 2 meter rig.
Silent fan. I just superglued the rubber fan mounts to the radio. Can scrape off if need be.
Pi-Star on a RPI 2B.
Stm32 board with mmdvm backpack.
12v to 5v converter to run the USB boards.
The aerial is a homebuilt copper JPole, mounted 45 meters ASL overlooking two cities with clear LOS for quite a large coverage footprint.
Normally connected to XLX626 - great place to chat with Kiwis on DStar.

Running off a 200Ah battery bank with solar and AC. I don't have enough solar panels to keep up with my usage so an AC charger kicks on on a timer to cover the extra juice that the solar system is short by.

The Arduino and RPi Zero W are mounted but not yet connected. They're for additional functionality that I don't want to put on the PiStar machine. Would rather leave pistar unit totally stock for fast and stress free updates.

Future plans...

Incorporate the front panel switch to the main 12v feed in.

Add voltmeter and ammeter.

Add temp sensors and more fans to run as require (varies from 0deg to 40deg where I am).

Run patch leads with panel mount sockets for ethernet, 12v and so239.ImageImage

Sent from my TA-1033 using Tapatalk

ea2ip

Re: My enclosed high powered hotspot

Post by ea2ip » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:55 am

6foot7 wrote:Got the comms case dirt cheap.

Yaesu FT1500M 2 meter rig.
Silent fan. I just superglued the rubber fan mounts to the radio. Can scrape off if need be.
Pi-Star on a RPI 2B.
Stm32 board with mmdvm backpack.
12v to 5v converter to run the USB boards.
The aerial is a homebuilt copper JPole, mounted 45 meters ASL overlooking two cities with clear LOS for quite a large coverage footprint.
Normally connected to XLX626 - great place to chat with Kiwis on DStar.

Running off a 200Ah battery bank with solar and AC. I don't have enough solar panels to keep up with my usage so an AC charger kicks on on a timer to cover the extra juice that the solar system is short by.

The Arduino and RPi Zero W are mounted but not yet connected. They're for additional functionality that I don't want to put on the PiStar machine. Would rather leave pistar unit totally stock for fast and stress free updates.

Future plans...

Incorporate the front panel switch to the main 12v feed in.

Add voltmeter and ammeter.

Add temp sensors and more fans to run as require (varies from 0deg to 40deg where I am).

Run patch leads with panel mount sockets for ethernet, 12v and so239.ImageImage

Sent from my TA-1033 using Tapatalk
Good Job

73s

Enviado desde mi Redmi Pro mediante Tapatalk

n5amd

Re: My enclosed high powered hotspot

Post by n5amd » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:27 pm

awesome setup! Any chance you can create a how to on how you wired it all and built it? I have a lot of people ask "how they can get more power out of their hotspot." This is essentially how..

Thank you again for sharing!
Ben
N5AMD
www.n5amd.com