Fan power and control based on CPU temp

Help with Raspberry Pi Foundation Boards (Raspberry Pi, Pi Zero, Pi Zero W, Pi A, Pi B, Pi B+, Pi2 B, Pi3 B, Pi 3 B+)
KB8AOB

Fan power and control based on CPU temp

Post by KB8AOB »

"Out of box" idea - Have pi-star control a small 5v fan to assist with cooling the system via POE pins on 3B+ and/or screen connections on radio board based on "color" temperature. Green off; Yellow slow; Red full speed.
MW0MWZ
Site Admin

Re: Fan power and control based on CPU temp

Post by MW0MWZ »

there are a couple of PWM scripts that will switch a transistor to run a fan at variable speed, that kind of thing should work well.
Andy

73 de MW0MWZ
http://pistar.uk
G3SNA

Post by G3SNA »

The RPi3 is an System on Chip device with thermal trottle which reduces CPU clock speed if necessary to limit the temperature at 80 degC. My RPi3 pi-star system runs at about 55 degC with a 22 degC ambient in a standard raspberry pi box so I don't see the point of heatsinks.
N5GER

Post by N5GER »

G3SNA wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 6:55 pm The RPi3 is an System on Chip device with thermal trottle which reduces CPU clock speed if necessary to limit the temperature at 80 degC. My RPi3 pi-star system runs at about 55 degC with a 22 degC ambient in a standard raspberry pi box so I don't see the point of heatsinks.
Hang a 3B+ running FlightAware outside under the eave (you need this as close to an antenna as possible due to line loss at 1,090 MHz) in Texas, in a sealed, weatherproof box in August - you'll understand why :) :D :D :D :D Now, I do understand that this is the "Pi-Star" forum - but it's certainly possible that some folks don't have their pi-star hotspot sitting on a 70 degree desktop.