RPi 4B doesn't reboot

Help with Raspberry Pi Foundation Boards (Raspberry Pi, Pi Zero, Pi Zero W, Pi A, Pi B, Pi B+, Pi2 B, Pi3 B, Pi 3 B+)
KE7FNS

Re: RPi 4B doesn't reboot

Post by KE7FNS »

KE0FHS wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:15 pm It's possible I messed it up when I soldered on the connector pins for the Nextion.
Thats really weird. There really isn't anything on the GPIO that should interfere with a reboot.

Did you ever get a chance to look at a monitor and watch it during the reboot process? I wonder if it is experiencing low voltage, on a monitor plugged into the microHDMI you'll see a yellow lightning bolt in the upper right when it happens.

You can also see it from the command:

Code: Select all

vcgencmd get_throttled
0x0 means its good, anything else means it has either experienced some form of throttling in the past, or it is currently happening.
If someones previous actions are any indication of their future actions, then I predict the deletion and removal of access will happen at any moment. 7-11-2020.

"07/13/20 This Website Has Been Taken Down" ... again :lol:
KE7FNS

Post by KE7FNS »

KE0FHS wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:15 pm After swapping in a new RPi 4B and then a microSD card from a hotspot that did reboot with no luck, I finally swapped in a different radio/modem board.
I was able to test "shutdown -r now" using an early RPi 4 (b03112) using Raspian Desktop and it does hang at the bootloader as I had suspected.

I see:

Code: Select all

updates: enabled 1
It appears to be trying to update the EEPROM and looking for specific files, but since those files are not on the SD card it halts. I don't know why it is trying to update the EEPROM. It is already on the latest EEPROM version :c305221a Sept 3 2020.

Maybe when you swapped SD cards the files it was looking for were on there?
If someones previous actions are any indication of their future actions, then I predict the deletion and removal of access will happen at any moment. 7-11-2020.

KE0FHS

Post by KE0FHS »

That's interesting. I have seen from time to time EEPROM-related errors when running pistar-update via SSH. Usually when that happens, I shut down and restart the hotspot so that it is properly in ro mode, and then try updating again. That has always seemed to do the trick. But maybe I missed that on one of my updates? Regardless, it's nice to have fully functioning hotspots again, with no reboot problems. Thanks again for looking into this issue.
73, Toshen, KE0FHS
Playing with Pi-Star (unofficial notes about setting up and using Pi-Star):
https://amateurradionotes.com/pi-star.htm
KE7FNS

Post by KE7FNS »

KE0FHS wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:36 pm I have seen from time to time EEPROM-related errors when running pistar-update via SSH. Usually when that happens, I shut down and restart the hotspot so that it is properly in ro mode, and then try updating again. That has always seemed to do the trick. But maybe I missed that on one of my updates?
It is my understanding that the EEPROM gets slated to be updated (if needed) and at the next boot, the bootloader handles it at that time.

I'm curious as to what the errors you saw were, maybe if you ever come across some again you can send it my way. I have never seen an EEPROM error during updating on my RPi 4 setup, but it isn't running Pi-star, its running the standard RPi OS desktop.
KE0FHS wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:36 pm Thanks again for looking into this issue.
Yeah, it is interesting and I think it is just a quirk with the early hardware.