Struggling Like MAD!

Help with Raspberry Pi Foundation Boards (Raspberry Pi, Pi Zero, Pi Zero W, Pi A, Pi B, Pi B+, Pi2 B, Pi3 B, Pi 3 B+)
M7LAA

Struggling Like MAD!

Post by M7LAA »

Hi,

I have a DVMEGA, which has stopped working completely. I have re-flashed the SD Card with what I think is the correct files using Belena, but I still only get the main Red light and the flashing Red light, no green light to say it is working. If I try to connect to the pi-star dashboard, the message I get is the page cannot connect.

Any info at all would be very helpful.

Regards,

Andy
M7LAA
KE7FNS
Pi-Star Team

Re: Struggling Like MAD!

Post by KE7FNS »

M7LAA wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:26 pm Any info at all would be very helpful.
I don't have a DVMEGA, so I do not know which LED's you are referring to the ones that maybe be on a DVMEGA or the ones that are on a RPi.

On a RPi a flashing red LED indicates a boot failure, so perhaps you wrote the incorrect image onto a SD card, or your SD card is incompatible.

If you have a RPi you should be downloading and using this image. https://www.pistar.uk/downloads/Pi-Star ... n-2021.zip

Another thing you can do is hook a monitor up to the RPi and make sure it is booting properly by watching the kernel messages and seeing if you get a command prompt.

Also, maybe you have a system that only has a wireless like RPi Zero W, and if thats the case then the RPi is waiting for you to connect to it and program the wirless so that it can access your network. You could also use the wifi builder on the Pi-Star website. https://www.pistar.uk/wifi_builder.php
If someones previous actions are any indication of their future actions, then I predict the deletion and removal of access will happen at any moment. 7-11-2020.

"07/13/20 This Website Has Been Taken Down" ... again :lol: and again
M7LAA

Post by M7LAA »

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I have downloaded the correct image file (4.1.5_21) and flashed it using the Belena software which gives me a "success" on completion. The dvmega is hard wired to my router which picked up the wifi before but won't now.

I'm not sure why I cannot get connected and having watch a huge amount of youtube vidoes and read loads of other info on various sites, I simply cannot get the problem sorted. I'm half way to throwing it in the bin tbh lol.

Regards,

Andy
M7LAA
AF6VN

Post by AF6VN »

M7LAA wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:03 am Thanks for your reply. I have downloaded the correct image file (4.1.5_21) and flashed it using the Belena software which gives me a "success" on completion. The dvmega is hard wired to my router which picked up the wifi before but won't now.
If you've just created a fresh OS image on the SD card, then you have NO Wi-Fi configuration telling it what to connect to. You also would not have the configuration files that tell the R-Pi what radio board you have, what frequency to use, what call sign/DMR ID, etc.

Note: technically, the DV-MEGA is just the amateur radio board piggybacking onto a Raspberry-Pi. It is the R-Pi that connects to a router, and provides the web server used to make configuration changes.
I'm not sure why I cannot get connected and having watch a huge amount of youtube vidoes and read loads of other info on various sites, I simply cannot get the problem sorted. I'm half way to throwing it in the bin tbh lol.
If you are using a cable connection to the router, log into the router and see what name/IP # has been assigned to the R-Pi, try using that IP # in a browser to connect.

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber
KE7FNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by KE7FNS »

M7LAA wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:03 am I'm not sure why I cannot get connected
Its probably because you haven't configured it.

If it is a RPi with a ethernet port and it is hardwired into a router, it should be automatically getting assigned an IP address. Look in your router for connected devices and note the IP address that was assigned. Then connect to that IP address and configure the hotspot. Sometimes people have better luck using the assigned IP address rather than the hostname.

Or use a device with wireless and access the AutoAP and configure it that way.

Or use the wifi builder.

Read:
https://amateurradionotes.com/pi-star.htm

Toshen does an excellent job at explaining many details of how to setup and configure Pi-Star step by step.
If someones previous actions are any indication of their future actions, then I predict the deletion and removal of access will happen at any moment. 7-11-2020.

M7LAA

Post by M7LAA »

Hi,

Thanks for all of your help guys, it really is giving me more things to try. I have done exactly what the notes say - created a new flash image and also used the wifi builder and put the file into the boot section as instructed, but still nothing.

I have also logged into my router and cannot see the rpi there either.

On pistar I notice there are some dvmega tools and was wondering if I need to download those also?

Regards,

Andy
M7LAA
Attachments
rpi dvmega.jpg
rpi dvmega.jpg (86.15 KiB) Viewed 149 times
rpi dvmega.jpg
rpi dvmega.jpg
KE7FNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by KE7FNS »

M7LAA wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:11 am Thanks for all of your help guys, it really is giving me more things to try. I have done exactly what the notes say - created a new flash image and also used the wifi builder and put the file into the boot section as instructed, but still nothing.
That isn't any sort of Raspberry Pi model that I've ever seen before, so it must be some other SBC that needs one of the other images. I guess you need to find out what SBC you are using and then use the associated Pi-Star image.

Maybe someone who has a DVMega will be able to help.

AF6VN

Post by AF6VN »

KE7FNS wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:50 pm Maybe someone who has a DVMega will be able to help.
My DV-Mega is mounted to a regular R-Pi3B, so no help there... And none of my 5 R-Pis (2x3B, 2x3B+, 1x4B) has USB/power jack adjacent to the SD-card slot.

Off-hand, that configuration is found on at least some of the Orange-Pi models. But I can't seem to match the offset of the RJ-45 jack vs the USB/power jack to any of the Orange-Pi Zero models. It definitely does not match the ODroid SBC.

Best match I found is http://nanopi.io/nanopi-neo.html

The newest images for ODroid and Nano-Pi are Pi-Star v3.4.17.

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber
KE7FNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by KE7FNS »

AF6VN wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:55 pm It definitely does not match the ODroid SBC.
Yeah, I don't run any SBC's that are not genuine Raspberry Pi's so no idea what it is. And 3 images that all show the same thing is not very helpful.

K5ZIA

Post by K5ZIA »

M7LAA wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:26 pm Any info at all would be very helpful.
That's a DVMega EuroNode, not a Pi-based DVMega. Suggest you contact them for instructions, since it may need a custom image.

https://www.dvmega.nl/euronode/