pi-star on raspian stretch

Help with Raspberry Pi Foundation Boards (Raspberry Pi, Pi Zero, Pi Zero W, Pi A, Pi B, Pi B+, Pi2 B, Pi3 B, Pi 3 B+)
kh6hz

pi-star on raspian stretch

Post by kh6hz » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:33 pm

Having nothing better to do yesterday, I thought I'd see if I could upgrade my hotspot from jessie to stretch.

Originally, i had installed my pi-star with a 2gb sdcard to hold the downloaded image. Since this is not big enough to hold stretch, I had to clone my sdcard to a larger, 16gb sdcard, and resize my root filesystem to a larger size. To accomplish this, I used clonezilla, first to clone the sdcard from the original 2gb to a new 16gb card, and then, after the cloning process was complete, performed a resizefs to expand the "new" rootfs from 1.8gb to 15gb.

Once done, I reinstalled the sdcard in my pi and rebooted.

sudo /bin/bash
mount -o remount,rw /

Before starting I had to increase the size of /run, so I had to edit /etc/fstab. To be on the safe size I doubled the sizes of most of the tmpfs filesystems to accommodate larger demands from stretch and the upgrade process. I then rebooted so the new values would take effect.

sudo /bin/bash
mount -o remount,rw /
mount -o remount,rw /boot

Next step was to edit the sources.list and sources.list.d/* files in /etc/apt to change all references of "jessie" to "stretch".

then apt update followed by apt dist-upgrade

process took about 45 minutes, I had to answer numerous questions about configuration files being changed and did I want to update them with the package maintainer's newer version. most of these I answered Yes to. the ssd and nginx config files I left as-is.

rebooted, and......

(drumroll please)

voila! everything was up and running! pistar admin page indicates kernel revision 4.14.52-v7+

Been running for a few hours now, no problems.

Keep in mind I only use DMR on my hotspot, so your mileage may vary.
Signature on File
Haunts: 310, 2350, 3115, 3125

M0GLJ

Re: pi-star on raspian stretch

Post by M0GLJ » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:27 am

Not the recommended method for Pi-Star. You will probably find problems down the track. Contact Andy directly for the best way of doing this
Adrian
M0GLJ

ZUMradio ■ ZUMspot ■ DV-Mega

D-star --> IC-E92D
DMR --> DM-4600 ■ DM-4601 ■ MD-380 ■ RT-82