Decisions, Decisions

Help with Raspberry Pi Foundation Boards (Raspberry Pi, Pi Zero, Pi Zero W, Pi A, Pi B, Pi B+, Pi2 B, Pi3 B, Pi 3 B+)
NY5I

Decisions, Decisions

Post by NY5I »

Hey folks! In my introduction post I mentioned that I'm not yet on pi-star but looking at it to replace the BlueDV board I'm currently using with my DVMEGA UHF hat. I like the setup but am having intermittent audio/transmission drops. I'd like to get the processing for the hotspot off my phone since it's older and has problems of its own.

My challenge is figuring out *which* RPi to get. Looking at the posts and documentation, it appears that the RPi 3 (B) board is the latest version with full support. I've also been told that the RPi 0 (W) runs pi-star "just fine". I've also heard folks on the talkgroups discuss problems with it.

My current usage is *mainly* mobile during my commute but I also have it set up at home on the weekends. This means I need the board to be able to switch between different WiFi points easily. I also need it to have an enclosure since most of the time it's going to be bumping around on the floor of my car. For power I currently use a dual USB charger with a verified minimum of 1A out and a powered USB hub in the house.

All that said, any suggestions on which board would fit this scenario the best with the least need for me to mess with things as I'm driving?

Thanks!
73 de NY5I
Hatton
KA2Y

Re: Decisions, Decisions

Post by KA2Y »

I use a Pi Zero W with a ZUMSpot Pi board - both at home and mobile. After initial setup (works headless - but you MUST read how to do it) it jumps between my home wifi and my Smartphone (Android) mobile hotspot with no intervention. For mobile power I use a 22000 mah battery charger/pack and it has successfully powered the device for three days around the clock. You can not go wrong with this setup - but you MUST read how to set it up with a computer and wifi and then how to add additional wifi networks to it - such as your mobile hotspot.

Because the uSD card is not written tp, it is safe to shut it off by simply unplugging from the power - and restarting by plugging in again. No need to do anything else.

Makes small, light, easy solution for home and mobile.
NY5I

Post by NY5I »

Thanks for the response! I'll dig around and look for those instructions though I wonder how they'd be changed with the "AutoAP" feature in 3.4.11.

One thing I haven't been able to find is a case for that combo (RPi 0/W + DVMEGA). What do you use for a case?
73 de NY5I
Hatton
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

You could use the hardware you already have with a pi3 or a pi zeroW connecting ur bluestacks / dvmega to the pi using the usb lead. Or of course running just the dvmega ontop of the Pi's gpio.
Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
NY5I

Post by NY5I »

M1DNS wrote:You could use the hardware you already have with a pi3 or a pi zeroW connecting ur bluestacks / dvmega to the pi using the usb lead. Or of course running just the dvmega ontop of the Pi's gpio.
The latter was what I planned to do, since the main thing I am trying to get away from is using my phone to power the DVMega.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

73 de NY5I
Hatton
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

A little late in responding, but..

Connecting the bluestacks / dvmega via the usb lead would have the pi /pi-star become the controller negating your mobile phone as it would not be used. Unless of course you decide to use it to view the pistar dashboard.

Anyways as said prob. too late a reply and I hope you have made a decision and are happy using it.
Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
NY5I

Post by NY5I »

Thanks, I've been running on a Pi-Zero since the end of April. Still looking for a better solution on the case. Right now I have the a PiZero case that exposes the GPIO and the DVMega sitting on top of that, then I wrapped it in some electrical tape to keep everything together.

Works like a charm!
73 de NY5I
Hatton
KB8AOB

Post by KB8AOB »

1 amp will not be sufficient for a Pi3B or 3B+ not sure about the W but doubt 1 will work
G8SEZ

Post by G8SEZ »

KB8AOB wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 5:19 pm 1 amp will not be sufficient for a Pi3B or 3B+ not sure about the W but doubt 1 will work
Recommended PSU for the latest Pi devices is that it should be 2.5A capable
--

Brian G8SEZ
NY5I

Post by NY5I »

KB8AOB wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 5:19 pm 1 amp will not be sufficient for a Pi3B or 3B+ not sure about the W but doubt 1 will work
It works fine on the Pi Zero W, I'm running it off the 1 amp side of a car charger without issue.
73 de NY5I
Hatton