Pi-Star v4.0.0 RC2 - available

Help with Raspberry Pi Foundation Boards (Raspberry Pi, Pi Zero, Pi Zero W, Pi A, Pi B, Pi B+, Pi2 B, Pi3 B, Pi 3 B+)
g7kbr

Re: Pi-Star v4.0.0 RC2 - available

Post by g7kbr »

M1DNS wrote:
g7kbr wrote:Hi All

Ref the version 4 for raspberry pi, I need to set a static ip address in the config. Do I do it like I have done in the past I edited /etc/dhcpcd.conf

Regards

Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep.

Or log into ur router and allocate the pi a set IP.
Much better way of doing. if you need to move the pi at anytime onto another network, the pi itself will still be able to use dhcp.

Andrew M1DNS, (Mod)
Hi Andrew

Thanks for the info, the site doesn’t allow DHCP. I am allocated an ip address. The site is remote within a church. I am in the process of setting up a new pi with Pi-STAR. Want to make sure I have all set correctly. Any other things I should do to make it more secure? I was going to change the port number but I hear that anyone who wants to hack a site will run a port scanning tool on a static up address?

Regards

Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

Ok Paul. Yeah in which case you'll have to define the static IP within the OS itself, if you have no access to the router. Or as in this case, been allocated an IP. address.

Obvs. recommended security procedure should be followed, but... There's always someone who will ' get in' if they really have a need to do so.

Andrew M1DNS, (Mod)

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
kp4djt

Post by kp4djt »

Folks,
I have been using the latest and greatest quite happily, but something is going on with my cellmodem, when I installed v4.0.0, I noticed both the following"
Improved screen when booting up, its now more obvious that you should
not be using the console to interact with the Pi. I hope that
doing that will help first time users see what to do.

and the fact that my console screen is now dark. No big deal I normally do it all via ssh. But now I need to get the console screen back so I can trouble shoot the link from the cell modem to the pi-star. How do I get it back up as I have no network connectivity until it gets an addy from the cell modem, but that is part of it, the pi-star at times gets no addy so I want to watch it from the console to see what is going on.

I had been looking at how to turn the video off to save power, you all did it now I need it on a wee bit.
KE0FHS

Post by KE0FHS »

As I understand Andy's release notes, "its now more obvious that you should not be using the console to interact with the Pi," he means that if you have a display attached to your Raspberry Pi (a full display, not a Nextion or OLED designed to interact directly with Pi-Star), you shouldn't use that to try to log into your Pi-Star dashboard (it won't work). Rather, you need to either open the dashboard from a browser in another computer on the same network, or use an SSH app from a computer on the same network.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by your "console screen," but you might simply be running into some corruption. You could try some the standard troubleshooting steps with your hotspot like backing up, performing a factory reset, and then restoring, or burning a fresh image.
73, Toshen, KE0FHS
Playing with Pi-Star (unofficial notes about setting up and using Pi-Star):
https://amateurradionotes.com/pi-star.htm