Pi-Star v4.0.0 RC2 - available

Help with Raspberry Pi Foundation Boards (Raspberry Pi, Pi Zero, Pi Zero W, Pi A, Pi B, Pi B+, Pi2 B, Pi3 B, Pi 3 B+)
PE1BVU

Re: Pi-Star v4.0.0 RC2 - available

Post by PE1BVU »

Works for me out of the box:

- Burned new image
- Started with Auto-AP: OK
- Changed Wifi-Settings an config'd manually: OK
- Reboot: All OK, up and running

My setup is:

OS: Kernel 4.14.79+ (Pi-Star:4.0.0-RC2 / Dashboard: 20190109
Platform: Pi Zero W Rev 1.1 (512MB)
Radio/Modem: MMDVM_HS_HAT(DB9MAT & DF2ET) for PI(GPIO)

After that i tried:

- Burned new image
- Put wpa_supplicant.conf on SD-card
- Booted: OK, logged in to my wifi network
- Restored setup from v3.4.17
- Reboot: All OK, up and running.

I use the hotspot only for DMR, and all functions seem to work fine.
Installed Samba to access files from PC: works fine.

Thanks for this nice 4.0.0-RC2 !

73's, Adri PE1BVU
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

G4pzw wrote:Hi Andy. Firstly just a great big thank you for your stirling work with Pi-Star.....oh, and a very Happy New Year!
Just tried to install the Pi-Star mobile addition from amateurradio.digital. Doesn't seem to work unfortunately. Im guessing it's because of the change in OS?

Rob
G4PZW

With the new changes made in release 4.0
Quite a few of the 3rd party add-ons will prob. need their developers to make adjustments, changes to their offerings in order to follow along, given time I'm sure many will.

Andrew M1DNS, (MOD)

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
G4pzw

Post by G4pzw »

Thanks Andy..I guessed that was the case. So far so good, no problems with v4.

Rob
VE6DV

Post by VE6DV »

KE0FHS wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:58 pm Hi Jeff, here's one thing that has worked for me in similar situations: try logging in once in Chrome using the IP address. After that, log in with the normal URL you use, for example, http://pi-star.local/. Once I've done this, the regular URL continues to work. I'm guessing this has something to do with my router or wireless network, not directly with Pi-Star.
Thanks, Toshen. That appears to have done the trick.

Jeff VE6DV
73 - Jeff VE6DV
WU0V

Post by WU0V »

When Adri, PE1BVU, mentioned that he installed Samba so he could transfer files from his Windows computer, I thought “Why not?” I was happy to discover that Samba is already installed in RC2 so all you need to do is configure it. After a few google searches I found an article about configuring Samba on Raspbian to connect with Windows 10. It was pretty easy and now I can access the files on my hotspot from File Explorer>Network in Windows 10.
A little more digging and I found an app for my iPad, File Explorer Free, and installed it. It fought me a bit to get it to connect but now I can also transfer files to or from my iPad to any Samba connection.
Either way I have to first SSH into the Pi and set the file system to Read/Write, but then the transfer works.

Experienced Linux users will say “big deal” but for me it was like winning a prize.

Lee, WU0V
59 years a ham, still having fun
F1TKE

Post by F1TKE »

test of rc2 version. ircddbgateway config have no config line "aprsPassword=" , without t2serv user passcode validation no aprs icon
VK7HSE

Post by VK7HSE »

WU0V wrote:When Adri, PE1BVU, mentioned that he installed Samba so he could transfer files from his Windows computer, I thought “Why not?” I was happy to discover that Samba is already installed in RC2 so all you need to do is configure it. After a few google searches I found an article about configuring Samba on Raspbian to connect with Windows 10. It was pretty easy and now I can access the files on my hotspot from File Explorer>Network in Windows 10.
A little more digging and I found an app for my iPad, File Explorer Free, and installed it. It fought me a bit to get it to connect but now I can also transfer files to or from my iPad to any Samba connection.
Either way I have to first SSH into the Pi and set the file system to Read/Write, but then the transfer works.

Experienced Linux users will say “big deal” but for me it was like winning a prize.

Lee, WU0V
59 years a ham, still having fun
It's this kind of reply makes me really happy to see that with some research and the willingness to try yields a great personal achievement! Reading this is much better than seeing the usual I have xxxx can someone please provide me with the solution because I am too lazy to even try!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

MW0MWZ
Site Admin

Post by MW0MWZ »

F1TKE wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:55 pm test of rc2 version. ircddbgateway config have no config line "aprsPassword=" , without t2serv user passcode validation no aprs icon
Thank you - going to look at this shortly...
Andy

73 de MW0MWZ
http://pistar.uk
g7kbr

Post by g7kbr »

Hi All

Ref the version 4 for raspberry pi, I need to set a static ip address in the config. Do I do it like I have done in the past I edited /etc/dhcpcd.conf

Regards

Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

g7kbr wrote:Hi All

Ref the version 4 for raspberry pi, I need to set a static ip address in the config. Do I do it like I have done in the past I edited /etc/dhcpcd.conf

Regards

Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep.

Or log into ur router and allocate the pi a set IP.
Much better way of doing. if you need to move the pi at anytime onto another network, the pi itself will still be able to use dhcp.

Andrew M1DNS, (Mod)

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.