Raspberry Pi 1

Help with Raspberry Pi Foundation Boards (Raspberry Pi, Pi Zero, Pi Zero W, Pi A, Pi B, Pi B+, Pi2 B, Pi3 B, Pi 3 B+)
VE6DV

Raspberry Pi 1

Post by VE6DV »

Will Pi-Star 4.1 run on a Raspberry Pi 1 Model B revision 1.2? Or is the pi 1 too old to be able to run the software?
73 - Jeff VE6DV
KE0FHS

Re: Raspberry Pi 1

Post by KE0FHS »

Have a look at this post by Andy, MW0MWZ: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1273
"This image should work on every Raspberry Pi foundation board, from the original A board up to the latest Pi 3 A+ all using the same image."

I think the chances are very good that you should be able to run either the latest stable release, 3.4.17, or the latest beta release, 4.1.0-RC2 (with an upgrade to RC3 available) using a Pi 1B board.
73, Toshen, KE0FHS
Playing with Pi-Star (unofficial notes about setting up and using Pi-Star):
https://amateurradionotes.com/pi-star.htm
VE6DV

Post by VE6DV »

Thanks, Toshen. I appreciate the info.
73 - Jeff VE6DV
VK7HSE

Post by VK7HSE »

My first pi-star install was on my original model B, granted it was on the 3.5x release. But the point of using the raspbian as pi-star base does ensure backwards compatibility. The only thing that you will strike is if you attempt to use a gpio hat it's going to be for the model a+/b+ 40 pin gpio but you can get around that with using a header riser, you would just have to manually put the hat into firmware update mode when doing any firmware updates because those pins are not available on the original model A/B boards (26 pin gpio)

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

VE6DV

Post by VE6DV »

Scott, thanks for the information. This particular pi is only being used for D-STAR using a 70 cm DVAP plugged into the usb port. So that shouldn't be an issue at this point. I inherited the original pi 1 from a friend that wasn't using it and figured I would put it to good use as another hotspot. It is currently running QnetGateway and is running quite well. I was just curious if the old hardware would also be able to run Pi-Star. I may give it a go and see what happens.
73 - Jeff VE6DV
PD0T

Post by PD0T »

Hi!
I'm using a MMDVM Jumbospot (china clone) with my old Pi 1 B. It's pretty slow but once it's fully booted it works just fine. As the Jumbospot board has a 40pin GPIO header it doesn't fit directly, I found some RC servo cables and used those. It looks messy, but it works just fine. My Pi Zero W arrived today so I'll use that in the future which is pretty neat given it has wireless connectivity on board.

Good luck!

Thomas PD0T
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

Yep, since the 4.0 release pistar can run on any pi foundation SBC.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.