Rp4 I board

Help with Raspberry Pi Foundation Boards (Raspberry Pi, Pi Zero, Pi Zero W, Pi A, Pi B, Pi B+, Pi2 B, Pi3 B, Pi 3 B+)
M6KFR

Rp4 I board

Post by M6KFR »

Is or has anyone had trouble getting a disc image to boot up when using the pi4 board, I seem to remember when the board came out guys where reporting problems about loading the disc image on the pi4 board
Or could it be I've manage to receive a "dodgy" board from father Xmas ?
Any help would be appreciated
Gordon
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Re: Rp4 I board

Post by M1DNS »

The 4.1 RC7 image should be used with a pi4. The 3.4 image won't run on a pi4

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
M6KFR

Post by M6KFR »

Many thanks Andrew, the pi4 is up and running perfectly.....
Gordon M6KFR
AF6VN

Post by AF6VN »

Just to compound matters...

Raspberry Foundation has announced an 8GB R-Pi 4, along with a (currently BETA) 64-bit OS which is only compatible with R-Pi 3 and R-Pi 4(and intend to rename "Raspbian" to "Raspberry Pi OS")...

Think of the size of RAM disk for logging on an 8GB system :shock:

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber
MW0MWZ
Site Admin

Post by MW0MWZ »

AF6VN wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 3:44 pm Just to compound matters...

Raspberry Foundation has announced an 8GB R-Pi 4, along with a (currently BETA) 64-bit OS which is only compatible with R-Pi 3 and R-Pi 4(and intend to rename "Raspbian" to "Raspberry Pi OS")...

Think of the size of RAM disk for logging on an 8GB system :shock:
Yeah I saw the 8GB board announced, and thought, cool 8GB of RAM, didnt even think about the 64bit issue, although PAE support should enable 8GB of addressable RAM even in 32bit mode, and it *MAY* (how hard do I have to cross my fingers) have a 64bit kernel and 32bit user land (been here before in the good old days of running Gentoo on Sun hardware... ahh yes, the good old days... lol).
Andy

73 de MW0MWZ
http://pistar.uk
AF6VN

Post by AF6VN »

KE7FNS wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 7:50 pm
AF6VN wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 3:44 pm Raspberry Foundation has announced an 8GB R-Pi 4
An 8 GB version has always been listed on the documentation ever since the release of the RPi 4, I guess they have gotten to the point where the cost has reduced enough to make it viable.
According to one page, the 8GB listing was a mistake that got past proof-reading. As for making if viable -- it sounded like they had to wait for a chip foundry to make an 8GB RAM chip with the proper form factor.

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber