MMDVM board compatible with 3B+?

Help with Raspberry Pi Foundation Boards (Raspberry Pi, Pi Zero, Pi Zero W, Pi A, Pi B, Pi B+, Pi2 B, Pi3 B, Pi 3 B+)
AK7AN

MMDVM board compatible with 3B+?

Post by AK7AN »

I am looking for a US source for a MMDVM board with no radio that is compatible with the Raspberry Pi 3B+. I see some on Ebay, but they all say incompatible with the 3B+. If you have a known board source please let me know.
Thanks
Ed
AK7AN
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Re: MMDVM board compatible with 3B+?

Post by M1DNS »

KE7FNS wrote:
AK7AN wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:38 pm I am looking for a US source for a MMDVM board with no radio that is compatible with the Raspberry Pi 3B+.
I have yet to see a MMDVM board with no ADF7021 radio, how would you communicate with it using RF?

He's prob. referencing a MMDVM repeater board. They interface to a mobile radio /std. analogue repeater to create a wide area (higher rf output) digi simplex gateway / digital repeater.

AK7AN...
Try Googling mmdvm repeater board.
else, the repeater builder.com boards are fairly popular.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
AK7AN

Post by AK7AN »

KE7FNS wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:52 pm
AK7AN wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:38 pm I am looking for a US source for a MMDVM board with no radio that is compatible with the Raspberry Pi 3B+.
I have yet to see a MMDVM board with no ADF7021 radio, how would you communicate with it using RF?
AK7AN wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:38 pm I see some on Ebay, but they all say incompatible with the 3B+.
That makes absolutely no sense to me. The RPi 40 pin GPIO is a standard across multiple RPi boards (and even other branded single board computers have adopted it as a standard), if it works on one RPi board it should work on every RPi board that has a 40 pin GPIO.

I have multiple MMDVM hats of various designs and I have never run into one that doesn't work on any of my RPi 3B+'s.

I am not looking to build a hot spot, I am looking to interface it with an analog radio to make more of an extended range gateway.

Go look on ebay, the MMDVM board that I was looking at has no radio on it and the seller specifically says that it is not compatible with the 3B+ Pi.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/US-MMDVM-Open- ... SwFN9d03-9

I will try repeater builder and see what I com up with.
Thanks
Ed
AK7AN
AF6VN

Post by AF6VN »

AK7AN wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:34 am Go look on ebay, the MMDVM board that I was looking at has no radio on it and the seller specifically says that it is not compatible with the 3B+ Pi.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/US-MMDVM-Open- ... SwFN9d03-9
He also doesn't say anything about model 4B or anything other than a 3B. I suspect it just hasn't been tested on other models.

Looking at the photos it only uses the first 8 pins of the R-Pi connector -- and those are common to all models in current production.

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber
KC5MN

Post by KC5MN »

Try repeater-builder.com and the STM32_DVM PiHat
AK7AN

Post by AK7AN »

I went ahead and ordered the board from the Ebay seller. I will test it on my PI 3B+ and report if it works. If it doesn't I will just acquire a Pi Zero W and go from there.
Ed
AK7AN
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

AK7AN wrote:I went ahead and ordered the board from the Ebay seller. I will test it on my PI 3B+ and report if it works. If it doesn't I will just acquire a Pi Zero W and go from there.
Ed
AK7AN
Just remember if ur using the 3B+ Pi download and install the 4.1 release from pistar.uk/beta as the 3.4 releases don't work with this model pi.

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
AK7AN

Post by AK7AN »

M1DNS wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:21 pm
AK7AN wrote:I went ahead and ordered the board from the Ebay seller. I will test it on my PI 3B+ and report if it works. If it doesn't I will just acquire a Pi Zero W and go from there.
Ed
AK7AN
Just remember if ur using the 3B+ Pi download and install the 4.1 release from pistar.uk/beta as the 3.4 releases don't work with this model pi.

I am currently running 4.0.0 RC4 an my 3B+ , with my Icom 4100 in access point mode and it works like a charm.. I plan on just adding the MMDVM board to this Pi and testing it as is.. Thanks for the heads up.
Ed
AK7AN
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

AK7AN wrote:
I am currently running 4.0.0 RC4 an my 3B+ , with my Icom 4100 in access point mode and it works like a charm.. I plan on just adding the MMDVM board to this Pi and testing it as is.. Thanks for the heads up.
Ed
AK7AN
4.0 is now a diminished image, it's out of production. I'd recommend you update to 4.1 but of course that choice is yours.

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
AK7AN

Post by AK7AN »

Thanks Andrew,
Do I have to reimage my SD card to upgrade? Or do you use the upgrade button in the expert menu?
Thanks again
Ed
AK7AN