MMDVM board compatible with 3B+?

Help with Raspberry Pi Foundation Boards (Raspberry Pi, Pi Zero, Pi Zero W, Pi A, Pi B, Pi B+, Pi2 B, Pi3 B, Pi 3 B+)
AK7AN

MMDVM board compatible with 3B+?

Post by AK7AN »

I am looking for a US source for a MMDVM board with no radio that is compatible with the Raspberry Pi 3B+. I see some on Ebay, but they all say incompatible with the 3B+. If you have a known board source please let me know.
Thanks
Ed
AK7AN
KE7FNS
Pi-Star Team

Re: MMDVM board compatible with 3B+?

Post by KE7FNS »

AK7AN wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:38 pm I am looking for a US source for a MMDVM board with no radio that is compatible with the Raspberry Pi 3B+.
I have yet to see a MMDVM board with no ADF7021 radio, how would you communicate with it using RF?
AK7AN wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:38 pm I see some on Ebay, but they all say incompatible with the 3B+.
That makes absolutely no sense to me. The RPi 40 pin GPIO is a standard across multiple RPi boards (and even other branded single board computers have adopted it as a standard), if it works on one RPi board it should work on every RPi board that has a 40 pin GPIO.

I have multiple MMDVM hats of various designs and I have never run into one that doesn't work on any of my RPi 3B+'s.
If someones previous actions are any indication of their future actions, then I predict the deletion and removal of access will happen at any moment. 7-11-2020.

"07/13/20 This Website Has Been Taken Down" ... again :lol:
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

KE7FNS wrote:
AK7AN wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:38 pm I am looking for a US source for a MMDVM board with no radio that is compatible with the Raspberry Pi 3B+.
I have yet to see a MMDVM board with no ADF7021 radio, how would you communicate with it using RF?

He's prob. referencing a MMDVM repeater board. They interface to a mobile radio /std. analogue repeater to create a wide area (higher rf output) digi simplex gateway / digital repeater.

AK7AN...
Try Googling mmdvm repeater board.
else, the repeater builder.com boards are fairly popular.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
AK7AN

Post by AK7AN »

KE7FNS wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:52 pm
AK7AN wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:38 pm I see some on Ebay, but they all say incompatible with the 3B+.
That makes absolutely no sense to me. The RPi 40 pin GPIO is a standard across multiple RPi boards (and even other branded single board computers have adopted it as a standard), if it works on one RPi board it should work on every RPi board that has a 40 pin GPIO.

I have multiple MMDVM hats of various designs and I have never run into one that doesn't work on any of my RPi 3B+'s.

I am not looking to build a hot spot, I am looking to interface it with an analog radio to make more of an extended range gateway.

Go look on ebay, the MMDVM board that I was looking at has no radio on it and the seller specifically says that it is not compatible with the 3B+ Pi.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/US-MMDVM-Open- ... SwFN9d03-9

I will try repeater builder and see what I com up with.
Thanks
Ed
AK7AN
AF6VN

Post by AF6VN »

AK7AN wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:34 am Go look on ebay, the MMDVM board that I was looking at has no radio on it and the seller specifically says that it is not compatible with the 3B+ Pi.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/US-MMDVM-Open- ... SwFN9d03-9
He also doesn't say anything about model 4B or anything other than a 3B. I suspect it just hasn't been tested on other models.

Looking at the photos it only uses the first 8 pins of the R-Pi connector -- and those are common to all models in current production.

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber
KE7FNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by KE7FNS »

AF6VN wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:37 pm He also doesn't say anything about model 4B or anything other than a 3B. I suspect it just hasn't been tested on other models.

Looking at the photos it only uses the first 8 pins of the R-Pi connector -- and those are common to all models in current production.
Not only are the first 8 pin common to all models in current production, they are common to all models ever produced.

The seller seems to be one of those that just sells tons of random unrelated items and maybe doesn't actually understand what it is they are selling, and just copy pasting poor documentation.

Then again, the PCB could of been designed poorly and theres a trace or throughhole that is populated that when it is installed it does something silly like shorts out 5v to something.

From what I found with less than one minute invested in searching it is a ~3 year old design.
https://github.com/wojciechk8/MMDVM_pog
If someones previous actions are any indication of their future actions, then I predict the deletion and removal of access will happen at any moment. 7-11-2020.

"07/13/20 This Website Has Been Taken Down" ... again :lol:
KC5MN

Post by KC5MN »

Try repeater-builder.com and the STM32_DVM PiHat
AK7AN

Post by AK7AN »

I went ahead and ordered the board from the Ebay seller. I will test it on my PI 3B+ and report if it works. If it doesn't I will just acquire a Pi Zero W and go from there.
Ed
AK7AN
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

AK7AN wrote:I went ahead and ordered the board from the Ebay seller. I will test it on my PI 3B+ and report if it works. If it doesn't I will just acquire a Pi Zero W and go from there.
Ed
AK7AN
Just remember if ur using the 3B+ Pi download and install the 4.1 release from pistar.uk/beta as the 3.4 releases don't work with this model pi.

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
AK7AN

Post by AK7AN »

M1DNS wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:21 pm
AK7AN wrote:I went ahead and ordered the board from the Ebay seller. I will test it on my PI 3B+ and report if it works. If it doesn't I will just acquire a Pi Zero W and go from there.
Ed
AK7AN
Just remember if ur using the 3B+ Pi download and install the 4.1 release from pistar.uk/beta as the 3.4 releases don't work with this model pi.

I am currently running 4.0.0 RC4 an my 3B+ , with my Icom 4100 in access point mode and it works like a charm.. I plan on just adding the MMDVM board to this Pi and testing it as is.. Thanks for the heads up.
Ed
AK7AN