OLED placing

Help with Raspberry Pi Foundation Boards (Raspberry Pi, Pi Zero, Pi Zero W, Pi A, Pi B, Pi B+, Pi2 B, Pi3 B, Pi 3 B+)
2E0WHN

OLED placing

Post by 2E0WHN »

I know there are no dumb questions only dumb answers. But this has me a bit confused so it could be a dumb(ish) question.

With the OLED having the 4 connections there are two possible places for it to go. One is at the top where the GPIO is and the other is on the right which also has a SDA, GND ETC.

So where does the OLED go to?

This is a brain fart time for me so asking out for some help.
DMR ID: 2347152

As a child I was made to walk the plank.
We couldn't afford a dog.
G8SEZ

Re: OLED placing

Post by G8SEZ »

It goes in the 4 connections nearest to the board edge on the GPIO connector, opposite the silk screen indicating the connections.

Pins 12, 14, 16 and 18.
--

Brian G8SEZ
2E0WHN

Post by 2E0WHN »

Thanks. Top row after the 6 pins soldered to the hat.

The hat came with pre soldered adaption so the only soldering needed was for the SMA. So no chance of them touching. The first one I had got damaged by the solder iron as the pins housing melted. May have to sort with a desolder. Live and learn.

Also something else on the hat. It is not clear on the picture but there is a space at the bottom with what looks like solder tags and a set of parallel lines. I wonder what that is for. Nothing underneath as it seems to be surface mounted. Maybe for the OLED or something. Will look it up and see what it's for if I can find anything about that part of the hat.

Again, thanks for your replies.
DMR ID: 2347152

As a child I was made to walk the plank.
We couldn't afford a dog.
G8FKL

Post by G8FKL »

KE7FNS wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:23 pm Make SURE the pins on the OLED do not touch the RPi's GPIO underneath. That is one of the dumbest PCB design decisions I've ever seen.
This the exact problem I have with a Chinese MMDVM board with OLED. Presumably I can simply snip off the protruding pins to clear those on the Pi Zero below?

G8SEZ

Post by G8SEZ »

G8FKL wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:50 pm
KE7FNS wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:23 pm Make SURE the pins on the OLED do not touch the RPi's GPIO underneath. That is one of the dumbest PCB design decisions I've ever seen.
This the exact problem I have with a Chinese MMDVM board with OLED. Presumably I can simply snip off the protruding pins to clear those on the Pi Zero below?

Yes, you only need connection to the HAT and nothing else!
--

Brian G8SEZ
G8FKL

Post by G8FKL »

Many thanks for confirming.