Is it possible to install Pi-star on existing system?

Help with Raspberry Pi Foundation Boards (Raspberry Pi, Pi Zero, Pi Zero W, Pi A, Pi B, Pi B+, Pi2 B, Pi3 B, Pi 3 B+)
KB1ZNG

Is it possible to install Pi-star on existing system?

Post by KB1ZNG »

Pi-star is a wonderful tool. Thank you for all your hard work.

I would like to install pi-star on an existing Pi 4 server without overwriting the whole system with the image. I have not been able to find any instructions or scripts that would show me how to do this. Is the image the only route to using pi-star? I certainly understand how this simplifies its deployment, but if anyone could tell me how to use it a-la-carte on top of my existing system, I would greatly appreciate it.

Regards,
KB1ZNG
KE7FNS
Pi-Star Team

Re: Is it possible to install Pi-star on existing system?

Post by KE7FNS »

KB1ZNG wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:21 pm Is the image the only route to using pi-star?
Yes.
If someones previous actions are any indication of their future actions, then I predict the deletion and removal of access will happen at any moment. 7-11-2020.

"07/13/20 This Website Has Been Taken Down" ... again :lol:
KB1ZNG

Post by KB1ZNG »

That's too bad. But thank you for a great tool, and thank you for the answer.

Regards,
KB1ZNG
KE7FNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by KE7FNS »

KB1ZNG wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:42 am That's too bad.
I don't think people realize how much work is involved to assemble all the separate applications and then create scripts and services and all of the features that Andy has done.

Maybe in the future there will be a way, or instructions, but not currently.
If someones previous actions are any indication of their future actions, then I predict the deletion and removal of access will happen at any moment. 7-11-2020.

"07/13/20 This Website Has Been Taken Down" ... again :lol:
G8SEZ

Post by G8SEZ »

I wonder if you could run PiStar in a VM using a Pi4 8GB.
--

Brian G8SEZ
MW0MWZ
Site Admin

Post by MW0MWZ »

G8SEZ wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:37 pm I wonder if you could run PiStar in a VM using a Pi4 8GB.
Yeah if there were a hypervisor for arm - probably. Docker for example does not allow for SystemD...

I do have a plan to take us down this path, exactly because Pi's are getting more powerful - I've me time, I'll get there.
Andy

73 de MW0MWZ
http://pistar.uk
AF6VN

Post by AF6VN »

MW0MWZ wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:54 pm
G8SEZ wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:37 pm I wonder if you could run PiStar in a VM using a Pi4 8GB.
Yeah if there were a hypervisor for arm - probably. Docker for example does not allow for SystemD...
https://www.starlab.io/blog/how-the-xen ... ion-on-arm

https://systems.cs.columbia.edu/projects/kvm-arm/

Note that Xen is a hardware level -- one would be running both "user land RaspiOS/Debian" and Pi-Star as virtual machines on top of Xen. This is not like VirtualBox (or KVM if the linked page was interpreted correctly) which runs a virtual machine within a normal OS.

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber