What size SD card do I really need?

Help with Raspberry Pi Foundation Boards (Raspberry Pi, Pi Zero, Pi Zero W, Pi A, Pi B, Pi B+, Pi2 B, Pi3 B, Pi 3 B+)
G4CTP

What size SD card do I really need?

Post by G4CTP »

When I built my pi-star configuration (on a Pi Zero W), I grabbed the first SD card I could lay my hands on, which happened to be 2 GB.

I now realise that 8 GB is recommended... but the thing is, it seems to be working fine.

Should I be worried?
KG6RUT

Re: What size SD card do I really need?

Post by KG6RUT »

it will be difficult to do some updates/upgrades on a 2GB card, at least thats what I found when using one. Since it was to tight, I now have both a 4GB and an 8GB. Since they are so cheap, just get something bigger.
KE7FNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by KE7FNS »

G4CTP wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:29 pm Should I be worried?
Eventually you are going to run out of space, so find at least a 4 gig one.
If someones previous actions are any indication of their future actions, then I predict the deletion and removal of access will happen at any moment. 7-11-2020.

"07/13/20 This Website Has Been Taken Down" ... again :lol:
MW0MWZ
Site Admin

Post by MW0MWZ »

Pi-Star will run on anything the Pi you are using will support, from 2GB and up, honestly its getting hard to keep it in 2GB these days, I recommend a 4GB card, anything more than that will be wasted.

I personally use SanDisk cards and rate them well, beware of fakes tho, make sure you buy from a reputable seller.

Card quality matters more than getting anything larger than 4GB, that said I think the sweet spot price wise is about 16GB at the moment (depends where you are in the world).
Andy

73 de MW0MWZ
http://pistar.uk
G4CTP

Post by G4CTP »

Thanks for the responses. Looks like I'll need to expand.

Assumedly the best process is to back up my current pi-star config, then build a fresh image onto the new SD, then restore the config.
G4CTP

Post by G4CTP »

Rummaging around a bit deeper into the drawer... and I came up with a 32 Gbyte SD. That should do the trick. :D

Upgraded successfully.
G8SEZ

Post by G8SEZ »

G4CTP wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:40 pm Rummaging around a bit deeper into the drawer... and I came up with a 32 Gbyte SD. That should do the trick. :D
Extra logging space...
--

Brian G8SEZ
KE7FNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by KE7FNS »

G8SEZ wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:41 pm Extra logging space...
Logging space is limited to 64MB, and when it gets filled up completely all hell breaks loose and weird things start to happen.

Code: Select all

Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
tmpfs            64M  5.3M   59M   9% /var/log
If someones previous actions are any indication of their future actions, then I predict the deletion and removal of access will happen at any moment. 7-11-2020.

G8SEZ

Post by G8SEZ »

KE7FNS wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:16 pm
G8SEZ wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:41 pm Extra logging space...
Logging space is limited to 64MB, and when it gets filled up completely all hell breaks loose and weird things start to happen.

Code: Select all

Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
tmpfs            64M  5.3M   59M   9% /var/log
Needs something to move this to non-tmpfs storage then, I had not thought about this limit before.
--

Brian G8SEZ
KE7FNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by KE7FNS »

G8SEZ wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:02 pm Needs something to move this to non-tmpfs storage then, I had not thought about this limit before.
Well Andy has put in mechanisms to clean out the log files so it will probably never happen unless you turn up the logging details really high like I do when I'm watching every serial message being passed to my Nextion. If you put it on a busy talkgroup like 3100, in a hour or so it'll be completely full. I first figured that out by accidentally leaving the details set on high overnight, and the next morning nothing was working.