Porting nanopi to 4.xx release

Help with FriendlyArm Nano Pi Neo / Neo Air
IZ8GUR

Porting nanopi to 4.xx release

Post by IZ8GUR »

Hi,

are there any chances that this board will continue to be supported and be updated to the latest pi-star release?
Because at now the lastest mmdvm firmware (since august) is incompatible with the old version of PI-STAR 3.17
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Re: Porting nanopi to 4.xx release

Post by M1DNS »

Most probably, not any time soon.
The raspberry pi is currently the focus of on going pistar developement.
However there is a side project that will come as good news for users like yourself at some point, but currently saying nothing more or hinting at nothing more than is written here, as no timescale has been planned. If you want 4.1 features and updates with pistar your current option is to change to raspberry pi hardware.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
MW0MWZ
Site Admin

Post by MW0MWZ »

Andrew was correct - that was the answer up to about last week - I am going to port Pi-Star 4.x over to this board soon, I know a fair few people need it.
Andy

73 de MW0MWZ
http://pistar.uk
MW0MWZ
Site Admin

Post by MW0MWZ »

The NanoPi image has been built - just squashing the last couple of bugs that I know about, then I'll be doing some extra testing before the beta comes out...
Andy

73 de MW0MWZ
MW0MWZ
Site Admin

Post by MW0MWZ »

4.1.4 Nano Pi Beta released in the beta section.
Andy

73 de MW0MWZ
K1IMD

Any Chance? Re: Porting nanopi to 4.xx release

Post by K1IMD »

Andy,
Any chance that after you iron the bugs out of version 4.xx on the nano/neo Pis that you will port to the Orange Pi? I and I assume many others have custom built boards for MTR2000's/MTR3000 repeaters or it's European equivalent that have Orange Pi SBC in them. I have 3 of them in service that after upgrading the mmdvm firmware are unable to run Pi-Star. In some applications there is are advantages to run Pi-Star and there are others where it does not.

In the the same vain, is Pi-Star eventually going to support FM? I have experimented with the manual edit but it sort of makes a mess of things.

Jon
73!
K1IMD
MW0MWZ
Site Admin

Re: Any Chance? Re: Porting nanopi to 4.xx release

Post by MW0MWZ »

K1IMD wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:44 pm Andy,
Any chance that after you iron the bugs out of version 4.xx on the nano/neo Pis that you will port to the Orange Pi? I and I assume many others have custom built boards for MTR2000's/MTR3000 repeaters or it's European equivalent that have Orange Pi SBC in them. I have 3 of them in service that after upgrading the mmdvm firmware are unable to run Pi-Star. In some applications there is are advantages to run Pi-Star and there are others where it does not.

In the the same vain, is Pi-Star eventually going to support FM? I have experimented with the manual edit but it sort of makes a mess of things.

Jon
What Orange Pi? The Orange Pi Zero ?
Andy

73 de MW0MWZ
K1IMD

Re: Any Chance? Re: Porting nanopi to 4.xx release

Post by K1IMD »

MW0MWZ wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:44 pm
K1IMD wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:44 pm Andy,

Jon
What Orange Pi? The Orange Pi Zero ?
Sorry Andy, Yes Orange Pi Zero. I am running the 3.4.17 presently on a couple repeaters which works fine with the older firmware.

Jon
73!
K1IMD
MW0MWZ
Site Admin

Post by MW0MWZ »

Well please keep those requests in the Orange Pi section - but yeah I'll be working on it soon. :)
Andy

73 de MW0MWZ
K1IMD

Post by K1IMD »

Hi Andy,
I have both ports of Pi-Star running now on non-RPi SBC. When looking at the beta repo I noticed you have a script to update the kernel. Is that a requirement? My non-Raspberry Pis are running 5.10.4-sunxi/sun8i based Pi Clone & 5.10.12-sunxi/sun8i based Pi Clone kernels. What do you suggest?

Again thank you so much for the port to the non-RPi SBC.

Jon
K1IMD
73!
K1IMD