Nextion Driver option dropped during upgrade 3.4.17->4.1.0

All things relating to the Nextion Screen(s)
KE7FNS

Re: Nextion Driver option dropped during upgrade 3.4.17->4.1.0

Post by KE7FNS » Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:23 pm

KN2TOD wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:49 pm
To summarize then: the alternatives are: "start over from scratch" or "stay behind on an old (unsupported) release". Or play whack-a-mole with all the potential/eventual problems of a unadvised, DIY/YOYO upgrade.
Exactly, couldn't of said it better myself, oh wait a minute... I did say it earlier!
KN2TOD wrote:
None of these options are particularly appealing. It's not like most weekend DIYers document every change they've made to multiple configs over the last 2+ years, so starting over means redoing all the analysis that lead to those changes in the first place, some of which may not mean much today as they did back when or were just temporary and the odds are high that one or more settings will be missed or messed up in the process. And staying put just means that a day will come when one is forced to upgrade for any number of reasons.

So you've done an analysis of the configs.
Yes, I briefly looked at them, only because I was curious if it was only isolated to 3.4.16 and earlier.
KN2TOD wrote:
What are the specific differences?
I am dreadfully sorry I cannot devote any more of my time into investigating, compiling and documenting that information for you. Even though it is extremely easy to get and publish that information, it just isn't worth my time.
KN2TOD wrote:
What options or parameters have been added (or dropped)?
See last answer as it is basically the same response.
KN2TOD wrote:
What is the impact if these (specific) options are not there?
With no parameters specified either the function will not work correctly, or if the programmer who designed the module was decent at coding, it should default to some value. I really don't know, I haven't investigated that part at all, I'm just recalling my own programming knowledge on how I've seen things done on other projects I've worked on in the past.
KN2TOD wrote:
Are these options self-correcting (if, and when, someone modifies some portion of their config) - does the missing option(s) get added in as we go along?
In the current implementation no, they are not self-correcting, they are just missing completely.

Now that it has been pointed out to the developers maybe they will make adjustments to their scripts to either warn users during a 3.4.17 or 4.0 restoration into 4.1, or automatically add the missing details for the users. I don't know I cannot speak for them.

In the meantime I'll keep recommending to users to not restore backups from previous versions into 4.1
If someones previous actions are any indication of their future actions, then I predict the deletion and removal of access will happen at any moment. 7-11-2020.

"07/13/20 This Website Has Been Taken Down" ... again :lol: