Nextion Freezes PiStar

All things relating to the Nextion Screen(s)
KE7FNS
Pi-Star Team

Re: Nextion Freezes PiStar

Post by KE7FNS »

WM4B wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:03 pm E: 2021-02-22 20:00:47.350 Cannot get the control attributes for /dev/ttyAMA0
After looking at the source code that error message indicates that the OS cannot get the control attributes for the serial port. That is not a normal error, which leads me to believe you have a bad serial port on the RPi, or something is majorly wrong with the OS, or access permissions.
If someones previous actions are any indication of their future actions, then I predict the deletion and removal of access will happen at any moment. 7-11-2020.

"07/13/20 This Website Has Been Taken Down" ... again :lol:
WM4B

Post by WM4B »

KE7FNS wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:02 pm
WM4B wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:03 pm E: 2021-02-22 20:00:47.350 Cannot get the control attributes for /dev/ttyAMA0
After looking at the source code that error message indicates that the OS cannot get the control attributes for the serial port. That is not a normal error, which leads me to believe you have a bad serial port on the RPi, or something is majorly wrong with the OS, or access permissions.
If I had a bad serial port, would the installation work with the port set to Modem? Because it does... I just don't get Nextion info. I DO have another rPi I can try.

The OS has been built and rebuilt a dozen times. It ALWAYS breaks IMMEDIATELY after the Nextion driver is installed. There IS something wrong with either the OS or the driver that is peculiar to my setup because obviously installing a driver (once or twice) should not break the installation.

Getting back to your comment about my backup, it is NOT bad... I have used it to rebuild numerous times and it works right out of the box.
KE7FNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by KE7FNS »

WM4B wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:14 pm If I had a bad serial port, would the installation work with the port set to Modem? Because it does... I just don't get Nextion info. I DO have another rPi I can try.
Yes, it would. The Nextion Driver installation has nothing to do with the port /dev/ttyAMA0.

The /dev/ttyAMA0 port is for the communications from the RPi to the MMDVM_HS hat, in otherwords MMDVMHost, not the NextionDriver.
WM4B wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:14 pm The OS has been built and rebuilt a dozen times. It ALWAYS breaks IMMEDIATELY after the Nextion driver is installed. There IS something wrong with either the OS or the driver that is peculiar to my setup because obviously installing a driver (once or twice) should not break the installation.
I have tested the Nextion Driver installation literally thousands of times and I have NEVER seen that message before.
WM4B wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:14 pm Getting back to your comment about my backup, it is NOT bad... I have used it to rebuild numerous times and it works right out of the box.
Again, it has to be something either with your configuration that you are restoring, or a hardware problem.

I know for a fact that when people don't properly setup their Nextion and have it working BEFORE running the Nextion Driver Installer the installer does not add the correct [transparent data] section to modem configured setups. That is why I asked ON7LDS to put up that warning message.

I suggest you just start over from scratch to eliminate any and all possibilities. It really isn't that difficult.
If someones previous actions are any indication of their future actions, then I predict the deletion and removal of access will happen at any moment. 7-11-2020.

WM4B

Post by WM4B »

KE7FNS wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:12 pm
WM4B wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:04 pm It was 75C when I shut it down. Not background processes.
Still nothing to worry about, it will self throttle to prevent damage. Buy a heatsink and setup a fan to get better cooling.

And yes it WAS background processes.
I have a heatsink and a fan on it... not my first rodeo.

Yes... background process running away... NOT doing useful things. Again, not my first build... NEVER seen that before.
KE7FNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by KE7FNS »

WM4B wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:39 pm NEVER seen that before.
I see it every time I boot a fresh installation of pi-star. Maybe you just aren't looking at the right thing.

WM4B

Post by WM4B »

KE7FNS wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:55 pm
WM4B wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:39 pm NEVER seen that before.
I see it every time I boot a fresh installation of pi-star. Maybe you just aren't looking at the right thing.
You see a 25C increase in temps every time you boot?

I sense you feel I'm an idiot. I'm *NOT* a rPi guru like you, but I'm not stupid and don't appreciate the condescension.

This can wait for Andy... I've got other fish to fry.
KE7FNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by KE7FNS »

WM4B wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:57 am You see a 25C increase in temps every time you boot?
Notice I said, "every time I boot a fresh installation of pi-star." If there are large number of things that need to be processed by the background services, CPU usage will be high for the time needed for it to finish doing what it is supposed to do. Once it finishes CPU usage is no longer affected, until another update is needed at some point in the future.

I also commonly see it on RPi's that have been sitting on the shelf unpowered for a week or longer.
WM4B wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:57 am I sense you feel I'm an idiot. I'm *NOT* a rPi guru like you, but I'm not stupid and don't appreciate the condescension.
I don't think you are an idiot and I'm not sure where you inferred that from. I certainly never said that, and I don't appreciate you assuming my feelings of how I perceive someone over the internet.

I've sensed nothing but an attitude from you from the very beginning. It seems you would rather just bitch and moan than follow the suggestions I've made. I've tried to provide as much help to diagnose the issue as best as I can, that apparently isn't good enough for you. Oh well, I tried.
WM4B wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:57 am This can wait for Andy... I've got other fish to fry.
You might not want to hold your breath. I don't see Andy post very much in the Nextion area, I don't even know if he runs a Nextion.

KE7FNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by KE7FNS »

Code: Select all

top - 21:25:35 up 7 min,  1 user,  load average: 6.16, 4.20, 2.08
It is normal to see high CPU usage after a boot of a fresh image, or a RPi that has been sitting unpowered for a few days.

So I had some free time between periods of the hockey game on TV, and me being the curious type I downloaded the latest pi-star image and tried to replicate any issues installing the latest Nextion Driver. I had no issues at all when I followed these instructions. viewtopic.php?f=20&t=3397 I even caught a typo and was able to correct it.

The OP's issue seems to be something weird with the serial port and MMDVMHost not being able to get the control attributes for the serial port. Maybe it is a hardware failure, or somehow the permissions of the serial port have been modified, or perhaps the SD card has been corrupted due to an incompatible make/model.