Nextion screen layout for dual time slot with last heard ID and last heard talk group

All things relating to the Nextion Screen(s)

Moderator: PD0DIB

AF6VN

Re: Nextion screen layout for dual time slot with last heard ID and last heard talk group

Post by AF6VN » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:04 am

Since pistar runs (normally) with the main partition/SD card set to Read-Only, there should be no real need to use a shutdown command -- there is no data to be flushed to SD card before the power is dropped.

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber

N4GWB

Re: Nextion screen layout for dual time slot with last heard ID and last heard talk group

Post by N4GWB » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:58 am

AF6VN wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:04 am
Since pistar runs (normally) with the main partition/SD card set to Read-Only, there should be no real need to use a shutdown command -- there is no data to be flushed to SD card before the power is dropped.
Does that include the underlying Raspbian? I am by no means an expert! I have always heard Linux does not like having the power cord yanked and not properly shutting down can cause corrupted files. I understand from your message that the pi-star software may not be altered due to a power yank shutdown, but does this apply to the operating system also?

n9mxq

Post by n9mxq » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:51 am

N4GWB wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:58 am

Does that include the underlying Raspbian? I am by no means an expert! I have always heard Linux does not like having the power cord yanked and not properly shutting down can cause corrupted files. I understand from your message that the pi-star software may not be altered due to a power yank shutdown, but does this apply to the operating system also?
Although the occasional hard shutdown "probably" won't hurt anything, even Andy has stated you're safer doing a safe shutdown. There have been many many threads in the Facebook group about it, and I think a couple here.
Gene in Belvidere IL
Zumspot at home
Jumbospot while Mobile