3.2" Enhanced Newbe

All things relating to the Nextion Screen(s)
G4MHJ

3.2" Enhanced Newbe

Post by G4MHJ »

I have a Rpi 3B using version 3.4.17 of pi-star as a D-Star Repeater (Simplex) and with a DVAP selected from the modem dropdown.

They are lots of examples of HMI or TFT files available but most relate to the MMDVM type where there is a box to select Nextion but no DVAP modem. The Repeater type gives the DVAP option but no screen choice.

I know the DVAP is old school but it still works great. Is it a case that my only option to use a screen is to buy a zumspot Hat or equivalent?

Any guidance would be appreciated.
KE0FHS

Re: 3.2" Enhanced Newbe

Post by KE0FHS »

KE7FNS is the real expert in Nextion-related things, so hopefully he'll jump in, but in the meantime, I believe you're correct that you need an MMDVM-capable radio/modem hat in order to make use of a Nextion display. Fortunately, there are some good ones around like ZUMspot and the MMDVM_HS_Hat from the hams in Germany.
73, Toshen, KE0FHS
Playing with Pi-Star (unofficial notes about setting up and using Pi-Star):
https://amateurradionotes.com/pi-star.htm
G4MHJ

Post by G4MHJ »

KE7FNS wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:35 pm I saw this thread earlier but I don't have any experience with a DVAP, so I just passed on it. XD

Sorry
KE0FHS wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:55 pm KE7FNS is the real expert in Nextion-related things, so hopefully he'll jump in, but in the meantime, I believe you're correct that you need an MMDVM-capable radio/modem hat in order to make use of a Nextion display. Fortunately, there are some good ones around like ZUMspot and the MMDVM_HS_Hat from the hams in Germany.
My thanks for commenting on my post. I have a spare Rpi3B so that will now have a MMDVM Hat soon. I will then keep this for mobile use and the DVAP at the home QTH.
2E0WKS

Post by 2E0WKS »

you do not need a nextion port on radio as far as I am aware and using pi to drive screen
perhaps Cp2104 usb to uart
compiled nextion driver
/dev/ttyAMA0 running off usb

you can see my build by looking at my other posts and a video of it working off usb with touch screen
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

You'll not be able to use a screen. The Dvap makes use of dstarrepeater software.

The screens are a feature in Mmdvmhost.
Dstarrepeater doesn't generate the serial data needed for the screen.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.