2.4 Nextion on DVMEGA in C4 labs case

All things relating to the Nextion Screen(s)
W3KIT

2.4 Nextion on DVMEGA in C4 labs case

Post by W3KIT »

The case is from C4 Labs and it came with 2.4" Nextion screen.

Pi3 B and the hat is DVMEGA UHF/VHF.

Can it be done without USB to TTL converter?

Just want to keep everything inside of the case.

Thanks, W3KIT
W3KIT

Re: 2.4 Nextion on DVMEGA in C4 labs case

Post by W3KIT »

KE7FNS wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:22 pm
W3KIT wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:36 am Pi3 B and the hat is DVMEGA UHF/VHF.

Can it be done without USB to TTL converter?
Does that board have a Nextion port? Most of the hats I've seen that support Nextions have 3 ports. ST-link, OLED, and Nextion.
Here is the exact hat I have.
https://www.gigaparts.com/dv-mega-dual- ... ry-pi.html

And the case is.
https://www.c4labs.com/product/presale- ... black-ice/

According to the instruction, I could solder the wires from the screen directly to the DVMEGA board (+5VDC, GND, TX and RX) and that is pin 1,6,8 and 10 on the GPIO.

I wasn't sure if it can be done. I have read it somewhere I need the TTL converter. On the other hand C4 LABS producing the case and there is not much room left to place the TTL converter inside.

Thanks, W3KIT
KE0FHS

Post by KE0FHS »

I've never tried running a Nextion with my DVMEGA, but here's a reply from Rick, W1RHS, which suggests you would need to use a USB to TTL adapter:
I don't think you can use a Nextion screen directly wired to the DVMega. You can directly wire an OLED screen because it uses different pins. The DVMEGA and the Nextion use the serial port on the GPIO for direct wire. There's only one serial port so you can't use DVMEGA and Nextion at the same time on those pins. You can connect the Nextion to the USB port but you need a USB to TTL level converter.
viewtopic.php?t=838#p3725
73, Toshen, KE0FHS
Playing with Pi-Star (unofficial notes about setting up and using Pi-Star):
https://amateurradionotes.com/pi-star.htm
W3KIT

Post by W3KIT »

Oops, my bad. I meant pin 2.

Just a shot in the dark, I sent email to C4 Labs asking about the instruction about the case and the wiring. They replied with the this info. So, I am not sure, just have to wait until I jump into it and see.

Although, I am not sure if it would work with the Pi 3B or not.

---------
Hi :
You are in luck, I am able to speak with the designer about the screen connection diagram. Here is his email:

Here is how connecting screens was explained to me by the original designer

"The Nextion screen would have to have soldered to DVMega board or on the GPIO pins on the RPI since the doesn't have holes on it. That who probably take a redesign of the current boards. All you need are some bread board jumpers (male) and make a pigtail or cut the ends from the Nextion screen and pigtail them to be soldered (I will use bread jumpers). Of course you could do the same thing with the Nextion jumper I chose not too. Although the colors on the bread board jumpers do not match you should get the basic idea. The UHF board uses the same pin
configuration"

Also, the diagram included in the instructions will work for any board with these connections. Simply match the names, they will be labeled the same although location on your board may be different.

Otherwise, we are unable to offer further support for your components. You may have luck with the facebook group:

-------

Thanks, W3KIT
W3KIT

Post by W3KIT »

On another note. I went with DVMEGA UHF/VHF is because where I am going in few months UHF is actually illegal to transmit. I have Zumspot already but it is a UHF only, I could modify it to work on VHF but I chose to go DVMEGA route.

I would be too bad if C4Labs instruction is misleading and turn out it does not work with the instruction they provided. Especially the case plus screen is advertised for Pi 3B and DVMEGA single or dual band version of the hat.

The case itself is fit perfectly, cut outs and antenna slot. I can't find any fault with the case fit and finish.

If all else fails, I could do without screen, I just use my spare cellphone as a dashboard. I need VHF more then a screen :D

Thanks, W3KIT
W3KIT

Post by W3KIT »

I have TTL converter on the way as an option. It would be ashamed if the kit (case and screen) does not work as advertised without a hack job.

I see electronic component, wiring, engineering hack at 10 - 12 hours a day. When I get home I don't work on anything for the next 10 hours or so haha.

Just want to flip that switch and be on the air, when I get home from work.

Hopefully I will have time this weekend and will do the dry run outside of the case and see.

Thanks, W3KIT