Its time to update the Nextion Driver to 1.17

All things relating to the Nextion Screen(s)
KE7FNS

Its time to update the Nextion Driver to 1.17

Post by KE7FNS » Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:20 am

ON7LDS released a new version 1.17.

Changes:
https://github.com/on7lds/NextionDriver ... 3fe9e0075b
https://github.com/on7lds/NextionDriver ... 9bc9774b32

The first list of changes are to fix warning messages that are being displayed when a user compiles the code using GCC 8. (if you use the ON7LDS Nextion installer script you never see the pages of warning messages, but they still happen in the background) I had suggested to fix it by disabling the warning message in the makefile but ON7LDS solved it a different way.

The second one just fixes a few duplicate messages from being sent back to back rapidly.

None of these changes should impact any operation of displaying the information correctly on a Nextion Screen. (I fully expect one guy out there to complain though SMH)

Overall I am finally completely satisfied with how the code functions. All of the little quirks and bugs I've encountered since I started messing with it in April have now been fully eradicated.

For those of you that have already updated to 1.17 a few days ago, I have no idea if the installer is going to update it correctly when it checks the version number and it already reports you have 1.17.
All views, comments, posts and opinions shared are entirely my own.

KE7FNS

Re: Its time to update the Nextion Driver to 1.17

Post by KE7FNS » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:35 am

So my assumption was correct anyone who updated to 1.17 prior to 10/19/2019 doesn't get the latest changes it errors out saying you are already on the newest version. I am not sure why ON7LDS didn't increment the version number.

Normally you don't have to do things this way, you just rerun the NextionDriverInstaller install.sh script, but this is the solution I came up with to solve this issue.... again, you only need to do this is you want the latest version of 1.17 as of right now, and it reports you are already on 1.17. Or you can just wait till 1.18 if that ever comes.

Code: Select all

rpi-rw
sudo rm /usr/local/bin/NextionDriver
sudo NextionDriverInstaller/install.sh
Say no to reboot, then continue with this

sudo rm /etc/mmdvmhost.old
rpi-ro
sudo reboot
That will clean up the extra mmdvmhost.old file so the script doesn't mess up when it is run for future updates.

K5WLY

Post by K5WLY » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:45 pm

I am at 1.15. Have been reading posts and planning to update.

All I need to do is follow the instructions in the above post to do the update and only remove the old file if the system reports I am at the latest version.

This is my first attempt at an update, so, baby steps as I learn more.

KE7FNS

Post by KE7FNS » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:52 pm

K5WLY wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:45 pm
All I need to do is follow the instructions in the above post to do the update and only remove the old file if the system reports I am at the latest version.
That fix is only for people that updated to 1.17 a few days ago, and now they want the latest changes that were added, for some unknown reason the version was not incremented when the new changes were added.

So all you need to do is rerun the installer script, and it will check your current version and then update it to the latest version, you won't need to do anything else.

sudo NextionDriverInstaller/install.sh

K5WLY

Post by K5WLY » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:01 pm

Wow, fast response.

Thanks, will do!

K5WLY

Post by K5WLY » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:21 pm

And successful, no issues! :D :D

KE7FNS

Post by KE7FNS » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:32 pm

K5WLY wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:01 pm
Wow, fast response.

Thanks, will do!
I just happened to be on handling some other things when I saw your post. No biggie.

KN2TOD

Post by KN2TOD » Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:57 pm

Of the two hotspots I have with Nextion screens, the above installation/update script does not work on one of them, primarily because the NextionDriverInstaller directory is missing. (FWIW: The HS with the missing directory was built about two years ago - using perhaps a different install script? - whereas the HS with the intact directory was built about 2 months ago; the first is level 3.4.17 whereas the latter is RC6.) Other than the missing directory, the driver/screen is working on both HS's.

Tried reinstalling the driver from GIT but that did not restore the directory.

Any thoughts on how I can get the directory rebuilt/reinstalled so I can continue with the updates?

KE7FNS

Post by KE7FNS » Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:25 pm

KN2TOD wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:57 pm
Of the two hotspots I have with Nextion screens, the above installation/update script does not work on one of them, primarily because the NextionDriverInstaller directory is missing. (FWIW: The HS with the missing directory was built about two years ago - using perhaps a different install script? - whereas the HS with the intact directory was built about 2 months ago; the first is level 3.4.17 whereas the latter is RC6.) Other than the missing directory, the driver/screen is working on both HS's.
If you don't have the NextionDriverInstaller script(s) on the RPi, you need to download it.

rpi-rw
git clone https://github.com/on7lds/NextionDriverInstaller.git
KN2TOD wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:57 pm
Tried reinstalling the driver from GIT but that did not restore the directory.
That is expected because re downloading the repo for the NextionDriver is not going to download the repo for the NextionDriverInstaller. They are two seperate things.

You could compile the code in the NextionDriver directory and copy the executable manually, or you can let the NextionDriverInstaller script download, compile, and install the NextionDriver for you. Both accomplish the same end goal.

KN2TOD

Post by KN2TOD » Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:54 pm

Don't know why it didn't (re)create the NextionDriverInstaller directory the first (second?) time, but I ran the install (yet) again and everything is back in sync among my HS's.

Thanks