Nextion Driver option dropped during upgrade 3.4.17->4.1.0

All things relating to the Nextion Screen(s)
KN2TOD

Nextion Driver option dropped during upgrade 3.4.17->4.1.0

Post by KN2TOD »

Upgraded a 3.4.17 image to 4.1.0: etched a new image, copied the config backup to the image and booted with the new image; completed the update process; (re)installed Nextion Driver via GIT:

git clone https://github.com/on7lds/NextionDriverInstaller.git
sudo NextionDriverInstaller/install.sh

Now, the 'ttyNextionDriver' is no longer a port option in the configuration. Display partially works selecting "modem" but certain fields are not being updated on the display.

Is there a step missing here?
KN2TOD

Re: Nextion Driver option dropped during upgrade 3.4.17->4.1.0

Post by KN2TOD »

I found a solution to the problem. Thanks for your response nonetheless.
KN2TOD

Post by KN2TOD »

Pretty simple actually, in hindsight, but I've never seen it clearly articulated anywhere. Basically, I revised the order of some of the steps involved in building out (upgrading to) a new image.

Assuming you have a standard backup zip of your 3.4 configuration:

1) start up a vanilla 4.1 image
2) enter setup and proceed directly to config->expert->ssh
3) install Nextion driver; reboot
4) enter config again and restore the backup; reboot

You can vary the details for some of the steps (for instance, configuring the wifi in step 1 to gain more convenient access to the dashboard; running the update selection in step 3 or 4, or later, etc.) - the key procedural change here is to apply all the special modifications to components that are dependent on config values BEFORE reloading the full configuration.
KN2TOD

Post by KN2TOD »

Thanks Teach! Not sure I would have remembered that post from 9 months ago, nor can I imagine spending hours (once again) searching for old posts to find that particular solution, let along what keywords to use to narrow things down a bit. Rather than the lengthy post you did make on the 14th (in this thread), perhaps you could have simply posted a link to that that old post instead and been done with it. KISS, I believe, is what that's called.
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

KE7FNS wrote:

Also at this time I would advise not restoring 3.4.17 backups in 4.1, they seem to be missing some settings. You might encounter problems if you ever try to activate features in the future.
Here is a few recent examples.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2561
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2622
I think the issue here might be users not running the latest updates in a 3.4. ** release.

There are a greater no of option fields in 4.1 as more features got added. I'd suggest users of 3.4 wanting to update first run an update on their 3.4 release and so fetching the latest files.
Then save their config in a backup.

I'm still seeing in some cases users are still at 3.4.9 3.4.11 3.4.13 etc. Well that isn't really gonna work out for them when saving a config to use when moving up to 4.1

The other approach is once you have 4.1 up running with your 3.4 backup run an update immediately before doing anything else. Then go to the config page and click any one of the save changes icons.
Then continue as you would.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
KN2TOD

Post by KN2TOD »

To summarize then: the alternatives are: "start over from scratch" or "stay behind on an old (unsupported) release". Or play whack-a-mole with all the potential/eventual problems of a unadvised, DIY/YOYO upgrade.

None of these options are particularly appealing. It's not like most weekend DIYers document every change they've made to multiple configs over the last 2+ years, so starting over means redoing all the analysis that lead to those changes in the first place, some of which may not mean much today as they did back when or were just temporary and the odds are high that one or more settings will be missed or messed up in the process. And staying put just means that a day will come when one is forced to upgrade for any number of reasons.

So you've done an analysis of the configs. What are the specific differences? What options or parameters have been added (or dropped)? What is the impact if these (specific) options are not there? Are these options self-correcting (if, and when, someone modifies some portion of their config) - does the missing option(s) get added in as we go along?