Nextion Connections

All things relating to the Nextion Screen(s)
n2hyo

Nextion Connections

Post by n2hyo »

Ok so here i go, my nextion screen is connected to the modem port so the touchscreen buttons
do not work, if i connect to the uart pins on the pi 2,6,8,10 will this allow the touchscreen
to work or is my only option a usb to ttl converter?

Thanks 73
n2hyo

Re: Nextion Connections

Post by n2hyo »

Well it worked once after reinstalling the driver.
i have a duplex hotspot with the stm32-dvm.
G8SEZ

Post by G8SEZ »

Looking at the changes that Andy has put in the beta 1.5.1 firmware it looks like serial repeating is either implemented or improved in this version.

Yes, it's a beta, and the latest release is now nearly 15 months old. It may be worth trying but then there are bound to be other changes that are needed so it may well be better to wait for PiStar 4.1.3 which I think the other Andy said would have the improved Nextion driver/service/support.
--

Brian G8SEZ
G8SEZ

Post by G8SEZ »

KE7FNS wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:02 pm
G8SEZ wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:20 am Looking at the changes that Andy has put in the beta 1.5.1 firmware it looks like serial repeating is either implemented or improved in this version.
Serial repeating was already implemented in MMDVM_HS 1.4.17. The beta firmware just has "optimized" code that shawnchain modified, there are no improvements to functionality, both work as advertised and correctly build and pass messages where earlier revisions did not.

You can clearly see this if you would of just taken the time to look at the individual commits and the code differences.
I apologise for not being nearly as smart and farseeing as you Jason.

<fx: bows>
--

Brian G8SEZ
G8SEZ

Post by G8SEZ »

Thank you for the effort you put in, I actually do appreciate it.

I do know that Andy was talking about a revamp of the whole Nextion interface and driver and that, when he last mentioned it, he said that it would be more straightforward in v4.1.3 when this comes along.

Knowing how much confusion there is I was looking at it from the point of people less skilled, and as a non-Nextion user I will confess that I don't know it all.

Apologies for being snippy, I wasn't really trying to do anything other than trying to avoid unneeded confusion, clearly my reading of the post 1.4.17 code changes for the HS_HAT firmware didn't inform me adequately of the details.
--

Brian G8SEZ
n6krj

Post by n6krj »

I’ve read through this thread and still having a bit of trouble.

I’m using a MMDVM_HS_DUAL HAT on top of a Pi3b+.

I’ve got a Nextion 2.4” Enhanced display and I increased the baudrate to 115200. I can get the display working using the NextionDriver via USB if connected using a USB-to-TTL adapter on the Pi. I cannot seem to get this working when wired directly to the modem. When Attached to the board, I’ve got Nextion port set to /dev/ttyNextionDriver and the NextionDriver port set to /dev/ttyAMA0. And as mentioned this causes a conflict with the HAT. Is there a different port that I should be using?

When I run:

Code: Select all

$ sudo pistar-findmodem 
Detected MMDVM_HS (GPIO): /dev/ttyAMA0 (MMDVM_HS_Dual_Hat-v1.4.17 20190529 14.7456MHz dual ADF7021 FW by CA6JAU GitID #cc451c4)
How do I know if serial repeating is supported on this modem?

I had this working on top of the HAT running at 9600 baud, but the touchscreen, temp, cpu, storage, and ip are non-functional.

What needs to be done to get this fully working on the modem?

Thanks,

-Jim
n6krj

Post by n6krj »

Thanks, this was very informative.

I was able to get the display working. I rebuilt and flashed the modem firmware. I modifed the Config.h from the MMDVM_HS_DUAL to use the higher buadrate. After doing that, and rebuilding the pi-star image, configuring, and installing the NextionDriver it seems to work (as it now displays all the fields with data.

One last question - after building and reflashing - I'm noticing that my contact/talker alias is now no longer being resolved in the pi-star on both Gateway and Local activity, where previously it resolved my callsign. After the hotspot rebuild, this seems to have stopped working. I believe the only settings that changed are the modem firmware. To be clear it does seem to resolve ID's from the NET. Would the new modem firmware cause this behavior? If yes, is there a firmware setting to restore this setting?

Thansk.