Any way to upload .tft file to Nextion via Pi-Star?

All things relating to the Nextion Screen(s)
n2md

Any way to upload .tft file to Nextion via Pi-Star?

Post by n2md »

Just finished a duplex hotspot build. RPi4, MMDVM_HS_Dual HAT with 3.5" Nextion enhanced screen (wired to HAT board) in a C4Labs NSX case.
This is my first hotspot and am new to hotspots, Pi-Star and the RPi. After a week of frustration, I finally have the Nextion screen working. (Thanks to KE7FNS :D )

When the screen was out of the case I loaded a .tft file with SD card. In the case now there is no access to the SD card slot. In this configuration I would like to now if there may be some way to upload new .tft files to the Nextion screen without having to remove it from the case? OK, call me lazy!

Is there a way to upload the .tft file to the Nextion screen either via Pi-Star directly or from one of the USB ports on the RPi?

Thanks
n2md

Re: Any way to upload .tft file to Nextion via Pi-Star?

Post by n2md »

Yes, when you use a USB/TTL adapter hooked to the screen, somewhere out there I saw a python script but I've never actually tried it.
I did hear about this also but I was unable to find it.
I saw one person recommend one of these:
https://www.adafruit.com/product/3688

He said it fit through the space between the lid of the case.
This seemed to be the approach that was easiest to impliment so is exactly what I did. I got one of the SD adapter/extenders. My case did not have a slot cut in that location so I just made a minor mod with a Dremel router bit. Works perfectly!
Personally I think it is a wasted effort, cause once you have a screen set the way you like you never need to upload it anymore. If you are curious as to what a certain .tft/.hmi looks like just load it in the Nextion editor simulator and run it.
True, but I have been trying a few of them and I wanted to complete the enclosure. I still havn't found one with all the capability I would like to have. (still figuring that out as well)
I don't really want to get into programming one myself. I am using the Nextion editor to view them. I would like to find one with a TG disconnect and a few other control features. I guess it's a matter of time or I am just looking in the wrong places.