Nextion is not running

All things relating to the Nextion Screen(s)
AA8WI

Nextion is not running

Post by AA8WI »

Since installing Pi-Star version 4.1.4, my Nextion screen is no longer running. The screen powers up, but doesn’t communicate further with the hotspot. When I check using SSH, it shows the Nextion Driver is installed, but not running. I’ve read through the posts in the forum and I’ve seen people have posted of the same problem, but everything I’ve tried is to no avail. If anyone could provide assistance, it would be greatly appreciated. To the best of my knowledge (which I’ll admit is limited), all of my settings in Configuration and MMDVMHost are correct. I also flashed the SD card with the Pi-Star image again.
AA8WI

Re: Nextion is not running

Post by AA8WI »

KE7FNS wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:56 pm
AA8WI wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:10 pm Since installing Pi-Star version 4.1.4, my Nextion screen is no longer running. The screen powers up, but doesn’t communicate further with the hotspot. When I check using SSH, it shows the Nextion Driver is installed, but not running. I’ve read through the posts in the forum and I’ve seen people have posted of the same problem, but everything I’ve tried is to no avail. If anyone could provide assistance, it would be greatly appreciated. To the best of my knowledge (which I’ll admit is limited), all of my settings in Configuration and MMDVMHost are correct. I also flashed the SD card with the Pi-Star image again.
To begin please answer EACH of these questions.

How is the Nextion connected? USB/TTL adapter, or directly to the hat.

Have you recently switched the connection from USB/TTL adapter to directly to the hat or vice versa.

Have you tried to reinstall the Nextion Driver? Yes or No.

Did you restore your configuration from 3.4.17 into the latest? Yes or No.
The Nextion is connected using a USB/TTL adapter.
I’ve always connected using the USB/TTL adapter.
Yes, I’ve tried to reinstall the Nextion Driver.
No. I had been using 4.1.3 for quite a while before upgrading to 4.1.4.
AA8WI

Post by AA8WI »

KE7FNS wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:48 pm Well I wasn't expecting those answers, so I'm not sure what is going on.

You've said the Nextion Driver reports that it isn't running, so that leaves me to believe that must be the issue. As to why, maybe the SD card is corrupted or something.

Here is what I would do.

Reimage an SD card using the latest image, instead of restoring a configuration, enter your modem type, and callsign and freq info, and apply those changes. Then install the Nextion Driver and reboot. (answer yes to force a reinstall when it detects the nextiondriver binary is already installed)

Test and see if the Nextion is functioning, if it is finish entering your configuration information and then backup that configuration for future use.

If it still doesn't work, try reimaging an older image 4.1.2, maybe there is an error in the latest.
Okay, thanks. I’ll give that a try.
KG6RUT

Post by KG6RUT »

In another group a member had similar issues and just reported that he was able to install in 4.1.2....
AA8WI

Post by AA8WI »

KE7FNS wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:53 am You need to install the Nextion Driver twice.

The first time it will detect 1.17 and update it, and ask you to reboot. Tell it no, or if you reboot no big deal except you have to redownload everything again.

Then reinstall the Nextion driver again. This time you should see the following message.

Code: Select all

+ Do you want to reinstall anyway (y,N) ? y
enter Yes

Then it should work correctly.
I did all of this and everything seemed to go along as it should. However, when I check the Nextion Driver installation, it still shows it’s not running. This is really frustrating, but I appreciate your assistance.
AA8WI

Post by AA8WI »

This is what it shows:

--------------------------
Searching NextionDriver ...
---------------------------
+ NextionDriver found at /usr/local/bin/NextionDriver
I Nextion is connected to /dev/ttyUSB0
+ Nextion IS NOT connected to an existing port

----------------------------
Checking active programs ...
----------------------------
+ MMDVMHost running with PID 990
- NextionDriver not running

--------------------------------
| REPORT |
--------------------------------
+ MMDVMHost is configured for NextionDriver
+ MMDVMHost is running
- NextionDriver is NOT running

I also meant to mention in the previous post, it doesn't appear the pistar.uk site has version 4.1.3 available anymore.
KG6RUT

Post by KG6RUT »

the alternate has 4.1.2: http://download.pistar.uk/ flashing this, installing the driver and then updating to 4.1.4 worked for the person in the other group with a similar issue..... GL
AA8WI

Post by AA8WI »

KG6RUT wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:33 am the alternate has 4.1.2: http://download.pistar.uk/ flashing this, installing the driver and then updating to 4.1.4 worked for the person in the other group with a similar issue..... GL
Thank you.
AA8WI

Post by AA8WI »

I’ve tried everything that’s been suggested and still no joy on getting my Nextion screen to work. At one point, while in SSH, it did show the Nextion Driver was running. It might’ve been on version 4.1.3 at that time. But after upgrading to 4.1.4 again, the driver was no longer running. This has all been very frustrating. I hope the changes that were made in 4.1.4 that caused these problems with the Nextion Driver are corrected soon.
AA8WI

Post by AA8WI »

KE7FNS wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:24 pm
KE7FNS wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:29 pm I guess I can try again on my test setup using a USB/TTL adapter later on today, but I have a suspicion I won't have any issues.
As I predicted...

Everything is working as it should.

I suspect you have a baud rate mismatch, or a faulty USB/TTL adapter.
Thank you for all of your assistance. I have two USB to TTL adapters and it doesn't work with either. However, I communicate with no problem to the Nextion editor when I connect the screen directly to the computer. I'm putting my money on a baud rate mismatch. Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but do I check the baud rate in the Nextion editor, in MMDVMHost or both?