Nextion is not running

All things relating to the Nextion Screen(s)
AA8WI

Re: Nextion is not running

Post by AA8WI »

Currently, I’m at work and don’t have my computer with the Nextion editor with me. I’ll work on it tonight after I get off. Thanks again for all your help.
AA8WI

Post by AA8WI »

KE7FNS wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:24 pm
AA8WI wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:15 pm Currently, I’m at work and don’t have my computer with the Nextion editor with me. I’ll work on it tonight after I get off. Thanks again for all your help.
No problem, good luck.

If it still doesn't work, post and maybe I can walk you through looking at the Nextion Driver logs and seeing if we can figure out why it isn't running or connecting correctly.

Or maybe we can setup a time to do some remote work with teamviewer.
Thank you. You’ve been a tremendous help.
AA8WI

Post by AA8WI »

KE7FNS wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:24 pm
No problem, good luck.

If it still doesn't work, post and maybe I can walk you through looking at the Nextion Driver logs and seeing if we can figure out why it isn't running or connecting correctly.

Or maybe we can setup a time to do some remote work with teamviewer.
I believe I have two bad USB to TTL converters. I connected the screen to the computer and the Nextion Editor. When I ran the simulator, it never returned any information. I followed everything you said to a “T” and nothing. I ordered a new USB to TTL converter last night. The saga continues. 😂 I’ll get this all working if it kills me!
AA8WI

Post by AA8WI »

KE7FNS wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:54 pm
That seems like really bad luck, maybe it didn't install the driver correctly? I know there was a time when FTDI and prolific drivers were able to detect cloned chips and would refuse to work.
I agree it seems highly unlikely that both converters would be bad. By the way, once again after installing the Nextion Driver, it showed it wasn’t running when I was in SSH.
Were you ever able to program the display using the serial port and the Nextion Editor? Its terribly slow, but it is possible.
No. Even though the Nextion screen powers up, even connected to the computer, it didn’t seem to be communicating (although I must say, I didn’t attempt to upload a TFT file to it at this time, which I should have).

I'll be here to help.
Thanks. It’s more than likely I’ll be asking for more help.
AA8WI

Post by AA8WI »

KE7FNS wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:26 pm
The problem is there is no baudrate autodetection in MMDVMHost like there is in the Nextion Editor. It is hardcoded to 115200 for USB connected displays, hence the need to set it in the Nextion eeprom so it always uses that speed.

Once you solve your communications issue, the service shouldn't fail anymore.
I loaded the TFT into my screen. It showed the baud rate was 115200.
Are you SURE you have RX on the Nextion going to TX on the adapter, and TX on the Nextion going to RX on the adapter?? Then just power and ground, DTR and CTS are not used. Also some adapters have a jumper for 5 or 3.3 volts, make sure its jumped for 5 volts. Other than that it shouldn't be this difficult.
Yes. Rx on the screen goes to Tx on the USB to TTL converter and Tx from the screen goes to Rx on the cnverter. Also the red lead is attached to 5 volts and the black lead is attached to Ground. No jumpers on my USB to TTL converters.
When the Nextion editor is trying to detect the display do you see any blinking LEDs? Most adapters I've seen have one for TX and one for RX, and a Power LED.
When it was working, the red power LED was on solid and the Rx LED blinked when communicating. Now, the only time the Rx LED blinked was when I had the screen connected to the computer, loading the TFT file.
AA8WI

Post by AA8WI »

KE7FNS wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:05 am
You have power and ground hooked up to the USB/TTL adapter and not from somewhere else right?
Yes. Ground and power are connected to the USB/TTL. Throughout all of this, the Nextion screen is powering up.
The only other thing that I can think of would be you don't have the port typed exactly like it needs to be in the configuration.

Normally it is

Code: Select all

/dev/ttyUSB0
Thats a capital USB and a zero. Linux is caps sensitive.

but it could be /dev/ttyUSB1 or some integer depending on how many USB devices are installed.

When you plug it in to the RPi, go to a ssh terminal and type

lsusb
and post what it reports. Should be about 5 lines of things or so.
Yes. I’ve been using capital USB and a zero.

When I run

lsusb
it returns the following:

Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
AA8WI

Post by AA8WI »

I meant to ask this in the previous post. In MMDVMHost, what should the port settings be for TFT Serial, Nextion and NextionDriver? I just want to make sure I have them set properly.
AA8WI

Post by AA8WI »

KE7FNS wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:50 pm
You should of seen the USB/TTL adapter so we are getting close to the issue. Since the adapter works in the Nexiton editor, it can't be bad.

What model RPi are you using?

Also, a RPi zero W has two microUSB ports, but the outside one is for power only (farthest away from SD card), and the inner one has data. You might need an OTG cable connected to the inner microUSB port, are you using an OTG cable?
I am running a RPi Zero W. I’m also using an OTG cable. I haven’t always connected to the microUSB data port.
AA8WI

Post by AA8WI »

KE7FNS wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:45 am
Maybe the OTG cable is causing a conflict??
I have two OTG cables and it's not working with either one.
Uhh, if you've tried to connect it to the outside microUSB port theres no data on it so it is impossible that it would work. It will provide power, but there are no data pins in that port. So maybe that is the issue all along ??
I have it on the Data port now. Still not working. It still keeps telling me that the Nextion Driver is installed but not running. Again, the screen not working seems to have coincided with the installation of Pi-Star 4.1.4 (Coincidence? Perhaps).

I get off work in about 5 minutes. When I get home, I'm going to try to go from scratch (again), following your instructions exactly, and see what happens.
AA8WI

Post by AA8WI »

KE7FNS wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:23 am
Just burn a new image, boot it and plug in the USB/TTL adapter (the Nextion doesn't even have to be connected to it), go to a ssh terminal and type lsusb. If the RPi doesn't see the USB adapter then you've got faulty hardware. Either the RPi is bad, the OTG cable is bad, or the USB adapter is bad, or not compatible or something.

The Nextion WILL display fields without the Nextion Driver IF the OS detects the USB/TTL adapter correctly.

Once you get it where you see fields being populated THEN you can follow the previous instructions.
I burned a new image to the card and ran lsusb. It returned the same info it did earlier. It didn’t show anything concerning USB. Both of the OTG cables I have provide power to the screen. It makes me think the problem is with the data port on the RPi.