Nextion is not running

All things relating to the Nextion Screen(s)
AA8WI

Re: Nextion is not running

Post by AA8WI »

When I lightly pushed the micro USB plug up in the data port and ran lsusb, it returned this information:

Bus 001 Device 011: ID 0403:6001 Future Technology Devices International, Ltd FT232 Serial (UART) IC

So, it definitely saw the USB device in this instance. I believe the problem is with the data port on my RPi.
G8SEZ

Post by G8SEZ »

It could be that the spring lugs on the USB plug are bent in, you may be able to straighten them.
--

Brian G8SEZ
AA8WI

Post by AA8WI »

G8SEZ wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:34 pm It could be that the spring lugs on the USB plug are bent in, you may be able to straighten them.
Thanks for responding. It could be the lugs and I'll take a look at the USB plug more closely, but I believe it's the port itself.
AA8WI

Post by AA8WI »

KE7FNS wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:33 pm
I agree, bad connector. Those things only have so many plugs and unplugs and eventually wear out.

Its probably just easier to buy a new RPi Zero W than to try to order the connector from digikey and attempt to replace it with a hot air gun, you'll probably end up knocking off some other component in the process.
I’ve been looking at hot spots and RPi boards today. Thanks for taking the time to assist me with my problem. 73!
AA8WI

Post by AA8WI »

KE7FNS wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:56 pm
No problem, it gives me something to do.

If you get a hat that has a Nextion port, you don't need the USB/TTL adapter at all, so the RPi is still useful.
Could you suggest a hat that has the Nextion port?
AA8WI

Post by AA8WI »

KE7FNS wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:46 am
Sure, I need some more info though.

Simplex or duplex?
Simplex
Does it need to fit the footprint of a case you already have?
I would like for it to fit into the ZUMSpot case it's in now, if possible.
How much do you want to spend?
I wouldn't want to spend over $100. $50 or under would be preferable.
Officially supported device or Chinese clone?
Officially supported would be preferable, but what do the Chinese have to offer?
AA8WI

Post by AA8WI »

KE7FNS wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:49 am
Well, did you buy the ZUMspot kit from somewhere like HRO? If you did and the hat is a white PCB then there might be a Nextion port already on it. There would be 4 pins on the underside of the PCB that are bent 90 degrees. Can you snap a photo of the top of the hat you have and I'll take a look at it?
I did buy it from HRO. I’m not sure how to attach a photo here (I’m also on my iPhone, so it may not work quite the same as being on a computer). The PCB is white and just above the power port, I see four pin holes - 3V3, GND, TXD and RXD. I believe these are the port to which you’re referring.
AA8WI

Post by AA8WI »

KE7FNS wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:08 pm
Exactly.

Set the default baud rate of the Nextion to 9600 using your other PC.

Solder the wires or use a pin header to those pads. A 90 degree one to the underside works great.

Reimage and when you select the Nextion port settings, enter modem, and layout of ON7LDS L3.

If you want the buttons on the Nextion to run commands like shutdown or restart, make sure the firmware of the Zumspot is 1.4.17 or higher.

Install the Nextion driver twice, and you should be good to go.
The firmware on my ZUMSpot is 1.4.17. I don't think I want to solder the wires to the board, because I actually prefer using the USB to TTL. I am going to purchase a new RPi 0 WH (I don't want to fool with soldering the header pins either). However, I believe my Nextion came with a four pin header to connect it to the board. I may solder it to the board or get the 90 degree header just so I can connect to the board for now or at a later date if I choose.
Thanks again for the help. You've provided me with a lot of information I didn't know, but the one good thing about all of this is it has been a real learning experience.
AA8WI

Post by AA8WI »

I wanted to let you know, I received my new RPi today. I installed it and the Nextion screen worked immediately. I had to go back into SSH and change the temperature display from Celsius to Fahrenheit again and I installed the Nextion driver again just for good measure. The Nextion’s working like a champ.
AA8WI

Post by AA8WI »

KE7FNS wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:42 am
Awesome, glad you were able to get things working the way you want them.
I couldn’t have done it without you. Thanks again for your assistance and patience.