Nextion driver disappering

All things relating to the Nextion Screen(s)
AF5XP

Nextion driver disappering

Post by AF5XP »

i have been trying all day to get the NextionDriver is stay. Every time i put it in the dev folder and reboot it removes it and is no long in the directory. I've tried everything I can think of to get it to stay. I'm at a loss as to what could be going on with it :x .
KE7FNS
Pi-Star Team

Re: Nextion driver disappering

Post by KE7FNS »

AF5XP wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:40 pm i have been trying all day to get the NextionDriver is stay. Every time i put it in the dev folder and reboot it removes it and is no long in the directory. I've tried everything I can think of to get it to stay. I'm at a loss as to what could be going on with it :x .
That is because that is the incorrect way to do things. You DON'T copy it to the /dev/ folder.

You have a problem where the Nextion Driver is not running, or staying running. When you figure out that problem, it will create the entry in the /dev/ folder automatically and correctly.

What does the check_installation script report?

What do the Nextion Driver logs report?
If someones previous actions are any indication of their future actions, then I predict the deletion and removal of access will happen at any moment. 7-11-2020.

"07/13/20 This Website Has Been Taken Down" ... again :lol:
AF5XP

Post by AF5XP »

KE7FNS wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:02 am
AF5XP wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:40 pm i have been trying all day to get the NextionDriver is stay. Every time i put it in the dev folder and reboot it removes it and is no long in the directory. I've tried everything I can think of to get it to stay. I'm at a loss as to what could be going on with it :x .
That is because that is the incorrect way to do things. You DON'T copy it to the /dev/ folder.

You have a problem where the Nextion Driver is not running, or staying running. When you figure out that problem, it will create the entry in the /dev/ folder automatically and correctly.

What does the check_installation script report?

What do the Nextion Driver logs report?
First off, I am not a novice and understand you can't just move files around. I'm very familiar with Linux. I did the stupid script 15 times and re-flashed the image between each try in the coarse of the day and every time it will not install the driver and no trace of it being installed either. I has to be either a write permission issue or something changing it at boot. I followed this method with no positive results

1. Log into Pi Star SSH
2. Change directory to tmp
cd /tmp
3. Chance Pi to read / write mode
rpi-rw
4. Run the following commands and wait for each to finish
sudo git clone https://github.com/on7lds/NextionDriverInstaller.git
sudo NextionDriverInstaller/install.sh
5. It will then ask if you want to reboot Pi. ALWAYS select Yes
Type Y and press enter

Even the NextionDriverInstaller/check_installation.sh doesn't even work as well.
KE7FNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by KE7FNS »

AF5XP wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:38 am First off, I am not a novice and understand you can't just move files around. I'm very familiar with Linux.
Then you shouldn't of tried to copy a file to the /dev directory and expected it to work.
AF5XP wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:38 am I did the stupid script 15 times and re-flashed the image between each try in the coarse of the day and every time it will not install the driver and no trace of it being installed either.
When you run the script, you physically see it downloading and compiling the binary. I doubt it is not being installed, unless you have some sort of major compatibility issue with your SD card.

What make, model and size of SD card?

Post the output of the script. Does it report any errors or something?
AF5XP wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:38 am I has to be either a write permission issue or something changing it at boot.
No, that isn't possible. I just installed it the other day, twice, once for USB/TTL adapters, and once for modem connected Nextions.
AF5XP wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:38 am I followed this method with no positive results
Follow my recent instructions for another user instead. There is a bit of a hack currently until Andy finishes including the Nextion Driver in pi-star.
viewtopic.php?p=17202#p17202

AF5XP wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:38 am Even the NextionDriverInstaller/check_installation.sh doesn't even work as well.
It should, what error is it reporting? Just saying it doesn't work doesn't provide enough information so post the output of this script too.
If someones previous actions are any indication of their future actions, then I predict the deletion and removal of access will happen at any moment. 7-11-2020.

"07/13/20 This Website Has Been Taken Down" ... again :lol: