Flash 4.1.4 to a SD card
Place a valid wpa_supplicant.conf for your network on the SD card.
Insert the SD card into the RPi and boot it and wait for it to reboot after it expands the filesystem. (RPi Zero W's will take a long time ie. 2 to 5 minutes)
Open the dashboard and set the modem type (if you can't get to the dashboard you need to configure the network using the correct wpa_supplicant.conf file in an earlier step)
Enter your callsign and apply changes.
Only do ONE of the following options:
- For USB/TTL connected Nextions do the following:
- plug in a USB/TTL adapter connected to a Nextion. (RX goes to TX, and TX goes to RX)
- set the MMDVM display type settings to the following: Nextion, /dev/ttyUSB0, ON7LDS L3 HS
- apply changes.
- For modem connected Nextions do the following:
- power the hotspot off and plug in the Nextion to the Nextion port on the MMDVM_HS hat. (RX goes to TX, and TX goes to RX)
- set the MMDVM display type settings to the following: Nextion, modem, ON7LDS L3
- apply changes.
The Nextion should be displaying information being passed from MMDVMHost. If it doesn't make sure the default baud rate is set correctly for your Nextion connection type.
- USB/TTL adapter needs to be set at 115200
- modem connection needs to be set at 9600
answer N to a reboot
Code: Select all
cd /tmp rpi-rw git clone https://github.com/on7lds/NextionDriverInstaller.git sudo NextionDriverInstaller/install.sh
run the Nextion Driver Installer AGAIN and answer Y to a reinstall and Y to a reboot.
The Nextion should be displaying information being passed from MMDVMHost. You should also see the extra Nextion Driver only fields being populated.
Now you can finish configuring your hotspot and remember to backup your configuration.
If you ever need to reimage the SD card with Pi-star again you need to follow the process starting at the beginning of this post, and after you install the Nextion Driver the 2nd time and everything is working correctly you can restore a backup that was created at the end the instructions above. I know that sounds confusing, but if you follow the instructions I provided and made a backup at the end, when you reimage, and install the Nextion Driver, and then restore the configuration the backup you made at the end of the instructions has all the required settings and will work perfectly. Trust me, I've done it hundreds of times.