Nextion screen layout for dual time slot with last heard ID and last heard talk group

All things relating to the Nextion Screen(s)
n9mxq

Re: Nextion screen layout for dual time slot with last heard ID and last heard talk group

Post by n9mxq »

Wrong model number means the tft was compiled for a different screen

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Gene in Belvidere IL
Please don't email me with questions.
That's what these forums are for.
There's much more brainpower collected here
than I have alone.
N4GWB

Re: Nextion screen layout for dual time slot with last heard ID and last heard talk group

Post by N4GWB »

Well, that part I kinda figured on my own. I am pretty sharp like that... Usually.

How does one know which is which... I have not noticed any guidelines on which model numbers are or are not compatible. Being the same manufacturer, same size, and visibly the same, where do I look to know the right one?
N4GWB

Post by N4GWB »

Okay, I am starting to figure it out. Geez, I did not realize there were so many sub models of these screens. I was looking for an easier out... Appears there is not one, so on to the work.
n9mxq

Post by n9mxq »

It's not that bad, grab the HMI file of the setup of your choice. Load it in nextion editor (https://nextion.itead.cc/resources/down ... on-editor/) edit the fields you want.. (I just edited the freq to match what I use)

Click the Device ID tab and select your screen (It showed during the error screen)
Click Compile..

Click FILE->Open build folder

Copy your newly minted TFT file to your SD card...
Gene in Belvidere IL
than I have alone.
N4GWB

Post by N4GWB »

Thanks for the tips!!! Yeah, after some reading I found it was rather easy. I downloaded a few MHI files as you suggested and figured out how the compile the tft files for my model.

Now if I could find a 3D printable case that I like. I have tried two, but both left me wanting.

Thanks for all the help!!!
n9mxq

Post by n9mxq »

N4GWB wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:55 am Thanks for the tips!!! Yeah, after some reading I found it was rather easy. I downloaded a few MHI files as you suggested and figured out how the compile the tft files for my model.

Now if I could find a 3D printable case that I like. I have tried two, but both left me wanting.

Thanks for all the help!!!
If you're talking about mine, here's the seller I bought from: https://www.ebay.com/usr/radiosounds?_t ... 7675.l2559
Message him and tell him your screen size if he doesn't have one listed. He's a fellow ham, and real great to work with.
Gene in Belvidere IL
than I have alone.
2E0LGZ

Post by 2E0LGZ »

Hi i got my case for the raspberry pi and jumbospot off this guy
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/123326953507 ... 86ffff5243

Gary
N4GWB

Post by N4GWB »

n9mxq wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:03 pm If you're talking about mine, here's the seller I bought from: https://www.ebay.com/usr/radiosounds?_t ... 7675.l2559
Message him and tell him your screen size if he doesn't have one listed. He's a fellow ham, and real great to work with.
I thought about that one... A little big for what I need. I wanted a more portable setup that could be plugged and unplugged often. Not sure his would work for me, but they are definitely nice.

I have a 3D printer and ultimately went with this one...

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2939247
It is a little clunky, but it is quite nice.

Also thought about this one... But it is a bit too tight with a screen pin header installed.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3082453

Great for those guys to offer their designs up!
n9mxq

Post by n9mxq »

Personally i wouldn't use a nextion in a portable setup. My Jumbo (which is my portable spot) has the OLED and I hardly ever look at it.. even when parked.

Gene in Belvidere IL
than I have alone.
N4GWB

Post by N4GWB »

n9mxq wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:08 pm Personally i wouldn't use a nextion in a portable setup. My Jumbo (which is my portable spot) has the OLED and I hardly ever look at it.. even when parked.

Good point... I have a zumspot with no screen and a Chinese jumbo spot with the OLED. They are much smaller and are much better for portability. The reason I wanted a dual hat for mobile is for the convenience of the "shutdown" command. With the simplex board you have to wait until the reflector is idle to transmit the shutdown command and gracefully close Linux. When someone is long winded I found myself waiting after parking before I could get out of the car.

After testing, I have found that the duplex hat boards will receive and process the shutdown command even when transmitting a signal from the reflector. No more having to wait for a break in traffic. Much more convenient in my case.