Nextion screen layout for dual time slot with last heard ID and last heard talk group

All things relating to the Nextion Screen(s)
AF6VN

Re: Nextion screen layout for dual time slot with last heard ID and last heard talk group

Post by AF6VN »

Since pistar runs (normally) with the main partition/SD card set to Read-Only, there should be no real need to use a shutdown command -- there is no data to be flushed to SD card before the power is dropped.

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber
N4GWB

Re: Nextion screen layout for dual time slot with last heard ID and last heard talk group

Post by N4GWB »

AF6VN wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:04 am Since pistar runs (normally) with the main partition/SD card set to Read-Only, there should be no real need to use a shutdown command -- there is no data to be flushed to SD card before the power is dropped.
Does that include the underlying Raspbian? I am by no means an expert! I have always heard Linux does not like having the power cord yanked and not properly shutting down can cause corrupted files. I understand from your message that the pi-star software may not be altered due to a power yank shutdown, but does this apply to the operating system also?
n9mxq

Post by n9mxq »

N4GWB wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:58 am
Does that include the underlying Raspbian? I am by no means an expert! I have always heard Linux does not like having the power cord yanked and not properly shutting down can cause corrupted files. I understand from your message that the pi-star software may not be altered due to a power yank shutdown, but does this apply to the operating system also?
Although the occasional hard shutdown "probably" won't hurt anything, even Andy has stated you're safer doing a safe shutdown. There have been many many threads in the Facebook group about it, and I think a couple here.
Gene in Belvidere IL
Please don't email me with questions.
That's what these forums are for.
There's much more brainpower collected here
than I have alone.
W4JEW

Post by W4JEW »

n9mxq wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:51 am
N4GWB wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:58 am
Although the occasional hard shutdown "probably" won't hurt anything, even Andy has stated you're safer doing a safe shutdown. There have been many many threads in the Facebook group about it, and I think a couple here.
I would tend to agree with you however, there have been many occasions where Pi-Star gets stuck in 'rpi-rw' mode. I've seen it happen many times with mine - even after rebuilding it.

If you SSH into the device and see that it's stuck in read/write mode, and try to force it back to read-only (by issuing 'rpi-ro') you'll receive an error message "mount is busy". This is because there are files open and it cannot be switched back. The only way to recover from this is to reboot it.

I've started to either use my phone/laptop to connect to the web interface and shut it down from there or I use Pi-Star Remote and have my radio programmed to use issue a connection to the talkgroup/D-Star command to shut Pi-Star down that way.

I simply don't trust that it is always in read-only state ever since I've seen this happen. I have been the victim of SD card corruption far too many times to trust it to do what it's supposed to do by itself.
Check out GeorgiaDMR.net - https://www.georgiadmr.net
And on Groups.io - https://groups.io/g/GeorgiaDMR

Jeff Hochberg
W4JEW
Atlanta, GA
DG0CBP

Post by DG0CBP »

Hello...

can you add a new screen for the POCSAG mode on DAPNet from the Pi-Star software?

73 from Iwo DG0CBP
W3WDC

Post by W3WDC »

Been setting up a MMDVM_HS_HAT Duplex card with Pi 3B+ After trials and errors got everything running great with 4.0.0 RC3. Next was getting Nextion NX3224K024 running. After plugging in the Nextion drivers and Pi-Star config, had to find a few pre-built .tft files. Came across Ryan's WA6HXG GitHub. Wow. Nice work, Ryan! Thank you for your efforts here. 73