Model 8 download for 3.2" screen

All things relating to the Nextion Screen(s)
N3MNT

Model 8 download for 3.2" screen

Post by N3MNT »

Is there a Model 8 download file for the Nextion 3.2" display?
WU0V

Re: Model 8 download for 3.2" screen

Post by WU0V »

Model 8 is too large a file for the amount of storage space on the 3.2” Basic. I have that same screen and could not load anything larger than the earlier Model 7 screen on it. I ordered a 3.5” Enhanced screen—it has 8 times the storage space—to run the Model 8 screens. I didn’t check to see if there’s a 3.5” basic or a 3.2” enhanced screen available, which might have been enough. I just went for the whole kielbasa. Cost me something like US $37 with shipping. I do like seeing the DAPnet messages come through on Model 8.
N3MNT

Post by N3MNT »

Thank You. I have a 3.2 enhanced screen. I would like to stay with the 3.2" screen as I have a mount for it that includes the radio and Pi.
WU0V

Post by WU0V »

Hadn’t known there was a 3.2 enhanced. I see it has 4x the memory of the basic. Getting curious, I went to the Github.com site for Model 8 downloads and found there is a model 8 Globe version for the 3.2” screen:
https://github.com/PD0DIB/Nextion_HAM-r ... X-v1.2.HMI
There’s also a duplex version of this same size. Hope this is what you needed.
N3MNT

Post by N3MNT »

Thank You. I was close just down one level in file system.
N3MNT

Post by N3MNT »

Loaded the 3.2 model 8 (Globe) screen and changed the layout to ON7LDS 3. Incoming and out going spots show with the correct info, however on home screen the cpu temp is blank and the IP address shows connecting. On screen buttons work as expected.
Display is Nextion 3.2 Enhanced.
Radio is Zum spot with Pi zero.

UPDATE: Looks like everything is now working. Not sure why but it took almost 40 minutes for the data to show up.

UPDATE 2: stopped displaying IP address and temp again. Possibly Pi Zero powered.

Any ideas.
WU0V

Post by WU0V »

You might have hit it on the nose about the Pi Zero, though I don’t have one. From what I’ve read here and there, the zero is working pretty hard just to keep the modem board going.
But I recall I had to really wrangle things to get my Zero W and Jumbospot to play nice with NextionDriver. After what seemed like a half day of messing with the settings, I found an arrangement that worked. If you want to compare your settings with mine, here they are (no guarantees tho. My Linux skills put me in mind of a fish on a bicycle):

In Configuration, the Port for the Nextion is /dev/ttyNextionDriver. I’m sure you have that set right or you’d not get any data on screen.
In the Expert settings for MMDVMHost, going down to the TFT settings (which I’ve not seen anyone talk about), mine is set on /dev/ttyNextionDriver also.
Then, in the Nextion settings, once again the port is set at /dev/ttyNextionDriver.
And finally, in the NextionDriver settings, the port is /dev/ttyUSB0.
You may have to go back to the Config page to ensure that the port is still on /dev/ttyNextionDriver. Part of what took me so long to set up is that the config would go to “none” after making the expert settings. I finally had to:
“sudo cp /usr/local/bin/NextionDriver /dev/ttyNextionDriver” and then reboot to put a copy of Nextion driver where it needed to be and then rebooting to have it show up in the selections for the config window.

I should have mentioned earlier that I’m running the screen through the USB port and a TTY to Serial converter. I’m doing it that way because that’s the only way the reboot and shutdown buttons will work. Having them work using the modem connection is still a work in progress, I’m told.
N3MNT

Post by N3MNT »

Thank You.
Got it working Needed to update Nextion driver again Seems like Pi Zero is OK will check temp after a while. Running in serial modem which might explain my new issue. Once the screen goes to sleep I can not wake it up without a reset. Dstar MMDVM still runs but screen is blank.
Seems like One possibility. As long as there is activity the screen stays on, but after a while with no activity, screen shuts off and does not respond to touch or activity to turn back on. Tonight ran for about 2 hrs before screen went off.
Slowly getting there .

Bob
Last edited by N3MNT on Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
WU0V

Post by WU0V »

Mine shuts off too but wakes up if I touch it, though it may take more than one touch or more than momentary pressure. I’ve been wondering if there’s a built-in screen blanker or whether I had some other problem. Since yours does it too, it must be a feature rather than a bug.
N3MNT

Post by N3MNT »

There is a sleep timer and a wake by touch or by receipt of serial data but I am not sure which if any is enabled. wondering if when my screen is off the touch capability is disabled. This is on the ON7LDS site. In some cases the NextionDriver crashes. It can be after some minutes, some hours or even days. Version 1.06 (available when you use the below) hopefully got rid of it :-)

EDIT: After playing with this for a while. I am beginning to think that the screen is shutting down from a glitch and not a built in function. It looks like the timer function though included in the firmware is not enabled, but could be causing the problem. I have not seen any consistency in the activity or length of time between startup and the display going dead.