Using a 'Dual Colour' serial OLED screen?

All things relating to OLED Screen(s)
G0APM

Using a 'Dual Colour' serial OLED screen?

Post by G0APM » Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:21 pm

I've used a couple of OLED screens, via serial (IIC/!2C) interface, single colour, works just great.

Might seems a daft question but if fitting a dual colour display, yellow blue for example, what will happen?
Will it display one colour, can the colour be changed? Will it/can it use both? Is there any point?
In fact has anyone tried this?

Too many questions :)

Thanks guys.
73 - Clem - G0APM - always tinkering
CO of Essex in the SE of England

N3VMT

Re: Using a 'Dual Colour' serial OLED screen?

Post by N3VMT » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:27 am

Depending on your colour choice for instance yellow/blue, and screen orientation (default) blue will display mode and yellow rest of info. if rotated it can sometimes reverse the aforementioned display

G1VQV

Post by G1VQV » Mon May 20, 2019 4:36 pm

I have a dual colour (Yellow/Blue) OLED... the displayed mode, D-STAR, DMR etc.. shows up bright yellow in the top 20% (or thereabouts) of the display and the rest of the info, below, is in blue. Looks great... however, one thing I might point out is that all the Yellow/Blue OLED I have seen on fleaBay (4 pin) have the VCC & Ground pins reversed... ie: (from left to right) GND, VCC, SCL, SDA. The JumboSpots (HS-Hats) require VCC,GND,SCL,SDA if you want to mount them directly on the Hat. I had to do some work on mine to cross-over the VCC & GND, but it works fine otherwise.
Steve.

KE7FNS

Post by KE7FNS » Mon May 20, 2019 11:08 pm

G0APM wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:21 pm
Might seems a daft question but if fitting a dual colour display, yellow blue for example, what will happen?
Will it display one colour, can the colour be changed? Will it/can it use both? Is there any point?
In fact has anyone tried this?

Too many questions :)

Thanks guys.
Just to reiterate, the colors are static, and cannot be changed. Yes you can rotate the graphics, but if a pixel is yellow at position 0,0, it will always be yellow when lit up.

Heres an example of what it looks like
https://www.f5uii.net/en/installation-o ... mmdvmhost/

I have seen a blog post somewhere that showed multiple OLED screens (can't seem to find it right this second), but it requires some custom configurations due to each screen needing different i2c addresses, unless you are wanting an exact clone of one another.

And yeah, there really is no point, but thats the point to learn, experiment, and tinker.
All views, comments, posts and opinions shared are entirely my own.