1.3" OLED from Ham Radio Outlet now working

All things relating to OLED Screen(s)
aj6cu

1.3" OLED from Ham Radio Outlet now working

Post by aj6cu »

Thought I would share the solution on this one. Purchased a 1.3" OLED from Ham Radio Outlet for my new Zumspot (supplier of this OLED is not clear....). There was no instructions in the box nor a link on their website. But finally figured it out...

1. The kit includes a small piece of circuit board that you insert on the RaspberryPi GPIO headers and then push the zumspot down on top to hold it in place and avoid soldering. The little board goes all the way towards the micro sd card (pin#1,2, etc).
2. Match the jumper wires from the little board to the OLED screen. Everything is labeled, so that is easy.
3. In the Pi-Star MMDVMhost Configuration, selected OLED, Port: None, and ignore the entry for Nextion (you don't have one so this is a no-op)
4. Now the magic, same as for another posting on a 1.3 OLED: In the Expert MMDVMHost section, in the OLED section, set the type to "6".

This worked for me!

BTW: C4Labs has a nice little compact case. They have the version for the .95" OLED ready for shipping. The 1.3" is listed as coming "soon". You an make the .95" one work (like I did) if you are not afraid of doing some cutting and filing. I like this better than the larger screen Nextion solutions because it is more mobile. I can take the antenna off and throw it in my suitcase.

Mark
Attachments
zumspotside.jpg
zumspotside.jpg (200.95 KiB) Viewed 11647 times
zumspotTop.jpg
zumspotTop.jpg (175.45 KiB) Viewed 11649 times
w4jwc

Re: 1.3" OLED from Ham Radio Outlet now working

Post by w4jwc »

I have one of the HRO 1.3" Displays and cannot get it to work. I have installed the shim board on the micro sd end of the pi-zero. Verified the the connections SCL to SCL, SDA to SDA, GND to GND and the 3.3V to UCC. Changed to settings in pi-star and the display is blank. Is there anything else I can try? I am beginning to wonder if the display is good.

Thank in Advance for any guidance/help.
KN4QLQ

Post by KN4QLQ »

I'm having the same problems. I had the HRO OLED and shim installed and working correctly. Then it stopped working. I've tried a different OLED with out successs. Tried both OLED's on a second raspberry and they worked. I've got 3.3 volts to the board. I've reloaded and set up pi-star without any luck. I'm thinking I may try to reboot the zumspot board. I've updated and upgraded pi-star via the expert panel on pi-star (prompts on top, not ssh).
Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated.
KC9YFH

Post by KC9YFH »

@w4jwc have you been able to figure anything out? I have the same problem. I have been able to get it working on another Raspberry Pi (once!) but cannot get things to work on my Pi Zero which I have always used for my ZumSpot.

Like I said, I tried it on Pi 3 and got it to work but have been unable to get it working again a second time... I'm wondering if the pins get bent slightly when you put on the shim and then lose contact if you try to reinstall? What a pain... :?
w4jwc wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:10 pm I have one of the HRO 1.3" Displays and cannot get it to work. I have installed the shim board on the micro sd end of the pi-zero. Verified the the connections SCL to SCL, SDA to SDA, GND to GND and the 3.3V to UCC. Changed to settings in pi-star and the display is blank. Is there anything else I can try? I am beginning to wonder if the display is good.

Thank in Advance for any guidance/help.
w4jwc

Post by w4jwc »

I have been in contact with HRO. They have helped to try to figure it out. To no success. Mine has never worked since I received it. I believe they are going to replace mine.
KC3MLA

Post by KC3MLA »

What MMDVM board are you using? I'm not sure they all use the same GPIO pins for OLED so you may have to move the shim. The shim is designed for ZUM boards.

At least I remember a write-up where the OLED was attached to the GPIO starting with the 6th pin from the end, outside row.
Mark
KC9YFH

Post by KC9YFH »

I'm using a "real" Zumspot. As I mentioned, the fact that it worked (once) on another RPi gives me hope, but also makes me scratch my head why I can't get it to work on my normal RPi (or get it to work a second time on the other RPi)... I'm having to think there's something not right on the shim, the OLED, or one of my wires.
KN4QLQ

Post by KN4QLQ »

I'm also on a Zumspot board from HRO. I tried rebooting the board with the surface mount button. I've tried removing the zum board and connecting directly to the pins on the raspberry (to rule out shim problems) and the board did not light up. I know I'm getting three volts at the board. It just does not respond to anything I've tried (see posting above).
KN4QLQ

Post by KN4QLQ »

OK, Epiphany, After reading these posts, I took the hotspot apart again and rechecked voltages. I'm getting 3.3 volts off the appropriate pins of the header, but only 0.66 volts off the pins on the shims. I will call HRO, but suspect the shims are bad.
aj6cu

Post by aj6cu »

Hi

Just checked back and see that I may be alone in getting this to work. Let me know if you want me to check anyth8ng specific on my setup. Have not had any problems since my original post.

Mark