Re: Ability to turn off ircddbgateway

Post by VA3UV »

Scratch that... figured it out... need to add custom rules in /root/ipv4.fw

Ramesh.
VA3UV / WA3UV / G4PNQ
KE2N

Post by KE2N »

I am trying to do something similar to this discussion and I need to find out if it can actually work or am I trying to do the impossible.

I have a G4KLX ircddbgateway version "20151116-2-rpi"
It has been providing the gateway function for a 2m ICOM repeater (RP2C controller) and a homebrew "soundcard" DSTAR repeater for UHF. This old G4KLX gateway can handle both ICOM and homebrew repeaters through the same network connection and that is a requirement for me.

I decided to replace the somewhat haphazard UHF RF side of the system with a motorola MTR2000 and found that there was a plug-in DV modem card in using the STM32-DVM/MMDVM-HS Raspberry Pi HAT hardware. A neat solution. It came with pi-star controller software.

I guess I had assumed that the new modem card running pi-star could "look like" my old homebrew repeater. But it is more precisely an MMDVM host operating in DSTAR mode. The difference between "dstarrepeaterd" homebrew repeater and an MMDVM host in DSTAR mode is probably only understood by a handful of people and I am not one of them.

I have turned off the in-built ircddbgateway in the pi-star install in line with the subject posting. But it does not appear that the old G4KLX gateway wants to talk to the new host. I can command linking of the UHF machine, but no audio passes in either direction. I added firewall entries as described by Ramesh, but to no avail. In fact, I don't think the old ircddbgateway has a firewall at all (at least not iptables).

So - my questions are (1) should this work? perhaps I just have it configured incorrectly. (2) If there is some show-stopping incompatibility, what is the alternative? Is there some other gateway program with double-plumbing? The pi-star gateway seems to be either/or - not both.

Fallback position would be to put back the old dstarrepeaterd sound card repeater and wire it to a 50 pin connector for the MTR2K. That is kind of a step backwards though...

Ken
KE2N (ex G0VSN)
MW0MWZ
Site Admin

Post by MW0MWZ »

K2IE wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:58 pm In a previous feature request post, I mentioned that I am running two pi-star nodes, with ircddbgateway and the D-Star "C" module on one node and the "B" module on the other. All my attempts to prevent ircddbgateway from running on the "B" box have been in vain, as something always ends up to keep starrting it up despite disabling services, tmers, etc.

What would be very useful is an explicit binary switch on the dashboard that would decide whether to run ircddbgateway or not.

If not practical, at least a sure-fire recipe on how to prevent it from running would be appreciated.

So far, I tried disabling the ircddbgateway.timer service and the pistar-watchdog.service but something (perhaps an update) restarted the watchdog service anyway and it in turn restarted the ircddbgateway! Great if you want reliability, not so great if you don't want a service to run.

Thanks.
That's a good idea, so its now automatic, if you are using a gateway address of anything other than the local host (127.0.0.1), ircDDBGateway cannot start.
Andy

73 de MW0MWZ
http://pistar.uk
VA3UV

Post by VA3UV »

Hi Andy:

I had my gateway address set to a 192.x.x.x for the last couple of days, ircddbgateway has been down. Having read your post, I just changed the 'hbaddress' in my ircddbgateway config to 127.0.0.1 and ircddbgateway still does not start. In fact, I don't even see a log file, so I have nothing to go on. Were there any other changes, or any clues where to look?

Thx,

Ramesh.
VA3UV / WA3UV / G4PNQ
MW0MWZ
Site Admin

Post by MW0MWZ »

VA3UV wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 4:36 pm Hi Andy:

I had my gateway address set to a 192.x.x.x for the last couple of days, ircddbgateway has been down. Having read your post, I just changed the 'hbaddress' in my ircddbgateway config to 127.0.0.1 and ircddbgateway still does not start. In fact, I don't even see a log file, so I have nothing to go on. Were there any other changes, or any clues where to look?

Thx,

Ramesh.
VA3UV / WA3UV / G4PNQ
Try running:

Code: Select all

pi-star@pi-star-dstar(ro):~$ sudo ircddbgateway.service status
ircddbgatewayd is running as PID 23792
You should get some kind of output from it, if you get nothing back at all, the service handler is not attempting to start the service.
The service handler checks the line gatewayAddress= in /etc/dstarrepeater and if you are running the gateway on the same host, that should be 127.0.0.1

Hope that helps.
Andy

73 de MW0MWZ
http://pistar.uk
VA3UV

Post by VA3UV »

MW0MWZ wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 6:55 pm
VA3UV wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 4:36 pm Hi Andy:

Thx,

Ramesh.
VA3UV / WA3UV / G4PNQ
Try running:

Code: Select all

pi-star@pi-star-dstar(ro):~$ sudo ircddbgateway.service status
ircddbgatewayd is running as PID 23792
You should get some kind of output from it, if you get nothing back at all, the service handler is not attempting to start the service.
The service handler checks the line gatewayAddress= in /etc/dstarrepeater and if you are running the gateway on the same host, that should be 127.0.0.1

Hope that helps.
Thanks, Andy.. the key was the IP in dstarrepeater... I made the change one step at a time, starting in ircddbgateway (leaving dstarrepeater with 192.168.x.x). Your post above told me that I need to make the change in both places before checking.

Thx,

Ramesh.
K2IE

Post by K2IE »

Just saw this, thanks so much!
MW0MWZ wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 2:33 pm
That's a good idea, so its now automatic, if you are using a gateway address of anything other than the local host (127.0.0.1), ircDDBGateway cannot start.