Dimmable oled / led’s on/off

Suggest new features here
pa3koe

Dimmable oled / led’s on/off

Post by pa3koe »

The hotspot creates a lot of light.

1) Choose scrolling oled or dim\dark oled.
2) Choose if you want the led’s that are contonuous on turn only on when problem appears.
k1zbt

Re: Dimmable oled / led’s on/off

Post by k1zbt »

+1
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

There already is an ability to dim the screen.
The other features re screens would need to be made in the MMDVMhost software. Not a pi-star thing as it can only make use of what's available in the host software.

Andrew M1DNS, (Mod)

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
w7efs

Post by w7efs »

M1DNS wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:58 pmThere already is an ability to dim the screen. ...
How does one enable that ability, please. That would answer the OP's question, which is mine and anothers as well.
w7efs

Post by w7efs »

w7efs wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:57 pm
M1DNS wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:58 pmThere already is an ability to dim the screen. ...
How does one enable that ability, please. That would answer the OP's question, which is mine and anothers as well.
No answer after 10 days?
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

10 days... I didn't realise anyone was counting.
How inconvenient my real life get in the way of ur Question

In the screen section on the configuration.
Brightness 10 make it brightness 1

I'm surprised you waited for the answer from me. Most would of dug into the config and experimented with the no's by now. But there you go.

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
w7efs

Post by w7efs »

I checked the Configuration page almost immediately after your post of 20190210:
Screenshot_20190221_103815.png
Screenshot_20190221_103815.png (11.15 KiB) Viewed 6036 times
With "Pi-Star:3.4.17 / Dashboard: 20190205" and a recent pistar-update/pistar-upgrade in addition to the daily updates, I can find no "screen section on the configuration."

Please include a screenshot of where you are seeing that on your configuration page.

[edit] I now find that you are referring to /etc/mmdvmhost. [/edit]

Our display is at a remote, somewhat inaccessible site so we can't "experiment with the numbers" as you suggest. Will "Brightness=50" dim the OLED, preserving its lifespan until we need its use again, please?
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

Usually you would adjust for ur own needs
If it's at a remote locale where no one is likely to look at it for a while do you really need to be adjusting it ?

I've got a screen here that I put on a HS near 2yrs back it's been running almost daily and I can't notice any screen burn in or similar and given it's price even if it did I'm not really that worried given the cost of replacing it. That's if I even would, given it ( as most of my devices ) now sit remote to my operating position so I can't really see 'em anyways, but...
point being I don't think the screen will deteriorate to a point any time soon to nessesictating lowering it's brightness level, it's more a comfort thing.

Andrew M1DNS, (Mod)

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
w7efs

Post by w7efs »

Thanks for the feedback, my concern in dimming the remote OLED is merely longevity. Replacing the OLED when visiting the remote site requires some disassembly and soldering that we might might not have time for. Having installed a hostapd on the RPi3 wifi, it's a simple matter to use a tablet to enable the OLED on site when needed.
G4AON

Post by G4AON »

You can “dim” the LEDs with a black felt tip marker... makes an MMDVM board visually much less annoying.
ID51E plus 2
ID5100E
IC9700
AnyTone AT-D878UV
Chinese MMDVM with OLED on a Pi 3B
DVAP on a Pi 3B