DMR Simple Mode

Suggest new features here
M6NBP

DMR Simple Mode

Post by M6NBP »

Hi
I would like to request "DMR Simple Mode" the same that BlueDV offers

Simple Mode lets you use TG9 on your radio and then via the Pi-Star dashboard select the TG you wish to talk on.
See photo
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (11.69 KiB) Viewed 5929 times
Like other modes on Pi-star you use the dash board to move the TG you wish to use.

This could be handy for ones starting out as only need one TG9 in the radio

You could offer reflectors as well, but I thing TG would be enough as most now use then on Hotspots.

Many thanks

Norman
AF6VN

Re: DMR Simple Mode

Post by AF6VN »

The dashboard already supports reflectors... But from what I have read, the US Brandmeister masters no longer support reflector usage in favor of "direct dialing" talk groups. {Pretty much the opposite of what I've seen for UK repeaters -- which are talk group 9 using reflectors rather than dialing in specific talk groups).

I suspect what you are asking for is closer to a form of NAT -- the hotspot would have to translate the header fields that identify your radio TG into some pre-connected TG number before sending on the the master. Unfortunately, this scheme would likely also require you to /use/ the dashboard to change talk group, whereas the regular scheme allows the radio to control everything. It also negates things like having multiple static talkgroups active (I keep MI5 SW1 and SW2 as statics, while normally listening on 3100 Nationwide as a dynamic -- should traffic pop-up on SW1 or SW2, it gets passed to my radio, and via the use of receive group list, it will come through; I can then decide if I want to change the active channel to respond or leave it on 3100).

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber
M6NBP

Post by M6NBP »

Yes to change TG you would do it via the dashboard.

This is for ones that can not go to any talk group on the fly via the radio.
Hytera, Moto etc you have to add a new channel for each TG.

This would just make it easy for all who wish to use Pi-Star in this manner.

I asked BlueDv to add way back and David did. It is also well used on the BlueDv software

G4AON

Post by G4AON »

There are a lot of hams who seem incapable of programming their own radios and rely on others to do it for them. In reality, it’s easier to configure your own from scratch than it is to work with someone else’s mistakes. There are lots of “codeplugs” out there to download, plus whatever came in your radio. The problem with most of these are they often try and cram too much into them and make them hard to figure out.

A basic setup to use half a dozen DMR talkgroups, to work via a hotspot, takes only a few minutes to write. You can add analogue channels, repeaters, etc. later. Ham radio is about self learning -configuring a radio is exactly that.

D-Star users with a hotspot and WiFi can disconnect and change reflectors, without touching the radio, using the free ircddb remote app from their mobile phone, something similar for other digital modes would be useful but is probably a lot of work.

73 Dave
ID51E plus 2
ID5100E
IC9700
AnyTone AT-D878UV
Chinese MMDVM with OLED on a Pi 3B
DVAP on a Pi 3B
M6NBP

Post by M6NBP »

Talk Groups / Reflectors via D-star, P25, NXDN, Fusion all can be changed from the Pi-star Configuration page.

DMR unless your using a Anytone, Hacked MD380 or Other Mod radio you MUST reprogram your radios for each new TG you want to use.

Yes it is easy to add new channels !! BUT why when we can just use one channel and move TG via Pi-Star if this option was added.

Lets say your chatting on 310 and you ask the other party to move to 3102 Alaska. They do not have that as a TG in the radio.
With the new option they can turn to TG9 and via Pi-star type in 3102 and hit apply.
Now both parties in on 3102

With BM now having 1,289 total Talk Groups no one can have all TGs in a radio.
With Simple Mode you now have all 1,289 Talk Groups.

This option is not for everyone, but would be handy to have. Like I said in a post above it is very well use on the BlueDV software.

It is 100% down to the developer if it is added or not.

But I posted this as a Feature Request as I thought it would be used by many.

AF6VN

Post by AF6VN »

M6NBP wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 9:56 am With BM now having 1,289 total Talk Groups no one can have all TGs in a radio.
Depends on the radio... According to documentation, the AT-D868UV holds 4000 "channels", so all those BM talk groups only takes up less than a third of the channel memory. And since that radio offers CSV import/export of practically every table, one could use a spreadsheet program to copy the initial channel configuration and maybe even automate the TG increment field.

The Tyt MD-390 gets close, with 1000 channels (which would have to be grouped 16 at a time as the Zones are physical select switch). The Tyt MD-2017 is 3000 channels, so would take a bit over a third of the memory for BM TG. (Hmmm, interesting -- Universal Radio has all Tyt units under "discontinued", but they are still listed on buytwowayradios). The 2017 does have import/export of channels and contacts (talk groups only if one is using the Tyt firmware that converts the "recording" memory into a CSV contact list), but would require manually creating the zone and receive group lists.

And are you really wanting access to talk groups dedicated to languages you can't understand or speak? I suspect knocking out those would cut the talk group list down by near 25%.

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber
KE0FHS

Post by KE0FHS »

While I like the idea of being able to link to/unlink from talkgroups right from within Pi-Star (similar to what the D-Star Link Manager module enables), I seem to remember Andy Taylor explaining in a post either here or in the Facebook group that something about DMR made that not possible. Otherwise, I'm guessing he would have implemented it already long ago.

Frankly, I wouldn't want 1,000+ talkgroups in my radio ... too cumbersome to navigate. I think the best way to go is to build (and maintain) a codeplug that has the most frequently used talkgroups, and then dial other, rarely used ones manually on the fly (for the AnyTone 878/868, see the second procedure in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riU7-LxvEeY).

To escape from busy talkgroups, I use a quick shortcut in my AnyTone 878: the talkgroup list in the radio can be accessed quickly by pressing the List key (a.k.a., Exit key), which is the red – – key on the right just above the P2 key. And then you can scroll down through the talkgroups in the order they are entered. For that reason, I have talkgroup 4000 (public call) as the first talkgroup so that I can easily trigger it by clicking the List key and then, since 4000 is the first in the list, by clicking PTT right when someone stops talking. This makes it easier to escape from a busy talkgroup if people aren't leaving pauses between transmissions. It's not foolproof, especially if the next person to key up does so immediately, but it works quite often.
73, Toshen, KE0FHS
Playing with Pi-Star (unofficial notes about setting up and using Pi-Star):
https://amateurradionotes.com/pi-star.htm
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

The dmr server handles the linking not pistar.
You have self care. You log in there and "control' your linking.
Or setup the BM API into pi-star.

Re: if ur using reflector linking it's a private call. Using the radio
private dial, (enter ref. No), key up
no need to have 1000s contacts in ur radio.
What can be simplier... Just like TG's, but no need to program them into the radio, just key in the reflector no. you want. IMO, It's a shame the US team have choosen to dropped them. But it is what it is.

Andrew M1DNS, (Mod)

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
M6NBP

Post by M6NBP »

The dmr server handles the linking not pistar.
You have self care. You log in there and "control' your linking.
Or setup the BM API into pi-star.
I am not asking for this or what most replies have posted.

1. Radio is set to Talk Group 9
2. Simple Mode new feature -
Via the Pi-Star you type in the talk group you wish to talk on ( 310 )
Just like you would to set a static talking via API and Pi-star, but in a new section
3. Pi-Star / MMDVM would then redirect the traffic from 310 to TG9 and to your radio. (NOT BM)
4. As Pi-Star/ MMDNM has this all already in its backend (Redirect TG/Ref) a new section could be added. The same way that BlueDV did over a year ago.

Now if i want to talk on 505 I just type in 505 in the new section and hit apply.
Now 505 is now going via TG9 to my radio.
This applies to any and all Talk Groups you might wish to use that is not in your radio as a channel.

No need to add 100s of channels to any radio.

We can use 16 channel moto/hytera/etc radios as only one channel is being used.
Yes you can pre program in 16 or more channels and access them via the radio if you so wish by not turning on Simple Mode in Pi-Star.

It does not need to be Talk Group 9 it could be Talk Group 1,2,3,4,5 that is not used via a hotspot.

This new Simple Mode is not for everyone, but for ones that would find it better to use than keep reprogramming radios every time they wish to use a new Talk Group.
They can always add that new Talk Group to the radio as a channel if they so wish.

Yes I know newer radios let you go to any talk group you so wish on the fly.
BUT 98% of radios being used on DMR CAN NOT (Moto/Hytera/etc)

Also what is the point of a Feature Requests on this forum if not to request new features.
Also most replies have 100% missed what I asked for and posted non relevant replies.

Any way like I said it is 100% up to the Pi-Star team if this is added or not.

Many thanks

Norman
M6NBP

Post by M6NBP »

Re: if ur using reflector linking it's a private call. Using the radio
private dial, (enter ref. No), key up
no need to have 1000s contacts in ur radio.
What can be simplier... Just like TG's, but no need to program them into the radio, just key in the reflector no. you want. IMO, It's a shame the US team have choosen to dropped them. But it is what it is.
All Reflectors have Talk Groups.
BUT
Not all Talk Groups have Reflectors.

As most hotspot users use Talk Groups and not Reflectors this is why I asked for this new Simple Mode feature.
Reflectors already go via TG9 and private manual dial via radios that offer it. (Again not all do)