HTTP port change

Suggest new features here
M6NBP

HTTP port change

Post by M6NBP »

In the Admin section could we have an option to change the port number

This why we can run several devices.

No need to dig around in the back end coding .

W1KMC

Re: HTTP port change

Post by W1KMC »

What does the port number have to do with running several devices?

Change the hostname. (defaults to pi-star [or pistar on some older installs]) just change this name, apply changes and reboot.

e.g. I run two

http://deskstar/ and http://mobilestar/

a port number would do no good anyways because it's the IP address that separates the multiple devices.

my deskstar is 192.168.1.17 and my mobilestar (when in range of my home wifi of course) is 192.168.1.35

Also be sure the multiple devices DO NOT have the same frequency, it causes looping...very bad.

e.g. my deskstar is 445.975000 and to make it easy my mobilestar is 440.975000 (I set mine up as if an input and output of a repeater pair that I know is not in my area -- I live between Line A and Line B so we have very few UHF here anyways).
I am no developer, guru, expert, nor do I claim to be or want to be. All advice I give is purely from experience and my efforts to help others.

W1KMC - Kevin M Carman
Bangor, ME
Jumbospot on a Pi0W
DMR 3123142 & 3123143
HHUS Trunk Ext 4329
AF6VN

Re: HTTP port change

Post by AF6VN »

Which was about to be my response... Until I considered WAN access through a NAT router.

Hostname is sufficient in the LAN side as a socket is uniquely defined by <host, port>. But connections coming from outside the router would be <router, port> and the router would need to forward to some internal node. I only see such capability (on my router) allowing for a single internal address per opened port number. If the router allowed for port translation (I couldn't find that on mine) then it could be handled at the router level... IE:

<router, port1> => <device1, portx>
<router, port2> => <device2, portx>

where portx is the same on all devices

My router only seems to support

<router, port1> => <device1, port1>
<router, port2> => <device2, port2>

where device1/device2 could be the same host or different hosts, but the port number is passed directly through. One would need to implement something like a reverse-proxy server that does device and port mapping so that

<router, port1> => <proxy, port1> => <device1, portx>
<router, port2> => <proxy, port2> => <device2, portx>

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber