Indicator plus Allow special characters in DMR Hotspot Security passwords

Suggest new features here
kd2lh

Indicator plus Allow special characters in DMR Hotspot Security passwords

Post by kd2lh »

Brandmeister has recently started recommending that all hotspot users setup Hotspot Security passwords and configure self-care to require use of these passwords from hot spots.

Currently, there is no indication on Pi-Star except for monitoring the live log that alerts you that the hotspot has not been able to successfully connect through Brandmeister with the password. If the password fails, you still see green DMR and DMR NET status indicators. Perhaps a yellow for failing password handshake?

Also, if you incorporate any special characters into your DMR hotspot security password, parsing and populating the configuration page will subsequently fail, no longer retaining the Modem Type. A pop up message alerts you that the modem must be selected over and over again.

The use of special characters is normal for higher security in passwords, and it would be useful if this could be supported. If not, documentation should be updated to indicate only alphanumeric characters can be used.

Thanks for your work on this amazing platform.
'73 Marc KD2LH
YT5HOK

Re: Indicator plus Allow special characters in DMR Hotspot Security passwords

Post by YT5HOK »

kd2lh

Post by kd2lh »

I understand that the "expert" page presentation of the actual DMR configuration files can be used to edit the DMR hotspot security password, but this is not a solution to the problem. It is a bypass, a way for more experienced users to get around the problem.

But the vast majority of users first encounter the populated configuration page, and many don't have the skill yet to work with exploring the configuration files themselves - especially when they are starting out.

Since Brandmeister has raised the visibility and necessity of using the hotspot security password, many users (who normally use special characters in passwords) will encounter this problem and be frustrated by the added complexity.

The lack of a visible indicator on the Admin page of a Brandmeister login problem will further confuse and frustrate them until they figure out how to use the live log facility.

Know that dealing with the complexity of DMR and digital ham radio technologies already is a barrier to many potential users of these outstanding modes and the powerful infrastructure systems behind it.
KE0FHS

Post by KE0FHS »

I'm sure Marc is familiar with that, since he was a part of that topic. And as he pointed out there, that's not really a solution. One problem with changing things on the Expert Editor pages is that if you subsequently make changes on the Configuration page, some settings on the Expert Editor pages get reset. I'm not sure this one is impacted that way, but it might be. I think Marc's feature request is a good one, and I hope it gets implemented.
73, Toshen, KE0FHS
Playing with Pi-Star (unofficial notes about setting up and using Pi-Star):
https://amateurradionotes.com/pi-star.htm
YT5HOK

Post by YT5HOK »

Yes, you are right, it is just a workaround. But, it's good we have one. ;)