Stop YSF/FCS nightly updates

Suggest new features here
wz4sky

Stop YSF/FCS nightly updates

Post by wz4sky »

Q. How to stop YSFHosts.txt from being overwritten with nightly updates.

Created and added a /root/YSFHosts.txt and FSCHosts.txt files with my edited versions. Also replaced the ones in /user/local/etc with modified versions. Woke up, it's been overwritten.

Andy, could you extend the overnight write cancelation feature to include YSF/FCS handling?

Pi-Star:3.4.17 / Dashboard:20191016
w7efs

Re: Stop YSF/FCS nightly updates

Post by w7efs »

That's odd, as the /usr/local/sbin/HostFilesUpdate.sh script only overwrites the files in /usr/local/etc/* and not /root/*. You can see that for yourself by examining the script:

Code: Select all

YSFHOSTS=/usr/local/etc/YSFHosts.txt
FCSHOSTS=/usr/local/etc/FCSHosts.txt
curl --fail -o ${YSFHOSTS} -s http://www.pistar.uk/downloads/YSF_Hosts.txt
curl --fail -o ${FCSHOSTS} -s http://www.pistar.uk/downloads/FCS_Hosts.txt
w7efs

Post by w7efs »

... so prove to us that the OP's custom /root/YSFHosts.txt was overwritten by /usr/local/sbin/HostFilesUpdate.sh

The other /root/*txt files that have been recently added are just commented templates to assist those who don't understand the /usr/local/etc/*txt structures, but have never been required for customization in recent or past Pi-Star versions.

If the OP's custom /root/*txt files aren't getting parsed by mmdvmhost, then that issue would've been better posed in the OP's other thread in response to MW0WMZ's /root/*txt reply.
w7efs

Post by w7efs »

wz4sky wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:47 pm Q. How to stop YSFHosts.txt from being overwritten with nightly updates.
Current development is Pi-Star 4.1.0 rc6 ... you should consider installing 4.1.0 rc4 on a different card and "Expert" update/upgrade a couple times to rc6 and see if the problem persists, as it may have already been corrected.

If you really want to not overwrite your 3.4.17 rc4 customizations to /usr/local/etc/{YSF,FCS}Hosts.txt then you won't get other daily updates for other nodes that may be required for your needs. It is possible by 2 methods, both being rather trivial, but development has stopped on 3.4.17, so no worries about /usr/local/sbin/HostFilesUpdate.sh being overwritten (??):

1) comment the two "curl" lines I quoted of /usr/local/sbin/HostFilesUpdate.sh in an earlier post

#curl --fail -o ${YSFHOSTS} -s http://www.pistar.uk/downloads/YSF_Hosts.txt
#curl --fail -o ${FCSHOSTS} -s http://www.pistar.uk/downloads/FCS_Hosts.txt
2) making the files "immutable" as the root user (or sudo ... if you prefer) after rpi-rw and editing your desired changes to the files. First we list the attributes:

root@w7efs(rw):~# lsattr /usr/local/etc/{YSF,FCS}Hosts.txt
--------------e---- /usr/local/etc/YSFHosts.txt
--------------e---- /usr/local/etc/FCSHosts.txt
then we change them and again list the attributes, verifying the presence of the immutable indicator which was added:

root@w7efs(rw):~# chattr +i /usr/local/etc/{YSF,FCS}Hosts.txt && lsattr /usr/local/etc/{YSF,FCS}Hosts.txt
----i---------e---- /usr/local/etc/YSFHosts.txt
----i---------e---- /usr/local/etc/FCSHosts.txt
If you ever want to edit the files further, it will require "chattr -i ...", so hopefully one makes note of the change in a system journal.
w7efs

Post by w7efs »

Apparently even the Pi-Star author Andy MW0MWZ didn't understand the OP's request in either thread, nor did the OP state a reasonable Subject: Stop YSF/FCS nightly updates.
wz4sky

Post by wz4sky »

w7efs wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:47 pm
wz4sky wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:47 pm Q. How to stop YSFHosts.txt from being overwritten with nightly updates.
Current development is Pi-Star 4.1.0 rc6 ... you should consider installing 4.1.0 rc4 on a different card and "Expert" update/upgrade a couple times to rc6 and see if the problem persists, as it may have already been corrected.

If you really want to not overwrite your 3.4.17 rc4 customizations to /usr/local/etc/{YSF,FCS}Hosts.txt then you won't get other daily updates for other nodes that may be required for your needs. It is possible by 2 methods, both being rather trivial, but development has stopped on 3.4.17, so no worries about /usr/local/sbin/HostFilesUpdate.sh being overwritten (??):

1) comment the two "curl" lines I quoted of /usr/local/sbin/HostFilesUpdate.sh in an earlier post

#curl --fail -o ${YSFHOSTS} -s http://www.pistar.uk/downloads/YSF_Hosts.txt
#curl --fail -o ${FCSHOSTS} -s http://www.pistar.uk/downloads/FCS_Hosts.txt
2) making the files "immutable" as the root user (or sudo ... if you prefer) after rpi-rw and editing your desired changes to the files. First we list the attributes:

root@w7efs(rw):~# lsattr /usr/local/etc/{YSF,FCS}Hosts.txt
--------------e---- /usr/local/etc/YSFHosts.txt
--------------e---- /usr/local/etc/FCSHosts.txt
then we change them and again list the attributes, verifying the presence of the immutable indicator which was added:

root@w7efs(rw):~# chattr +i /usr/local/etc/{YSF,FCS}Hosts.txt && lsattr /usr/local/etc/{YSF,FCS}Hosts.txt
----i---------e---- /usr/local/etc/YSFHosts.txt
----i---------e---- /usr/local/etc/FCSHosts.txt
If you ever want to edit the files further, it will require "chattr -i ...", so hopefully one makes note of the change in a system journal.
Ok, got this. Good point about no future updates to the HostFilesUpdate.sh script not being overwritten. Just tested. Overnight Update did not overwrite - Big Thank you. 73 ' David