Support for QnetGateway?

Suggest new features here
MI0PYN

Support for QnetGateway?

Post by MI0PYN »

Hi Andy,

I was wondering whether there was any chance that Tom Early's QnetGateway could be supported as a user selectable alternative to ircDDBGateway, even as an experimental option under Expert Config? I am aware that there may be less info available for the dashboard, but it would be useful to have the option to test.

Stefan MI0PYN
MW0MWZ
Site Admin

Re: Support for QnetGateway?

Post by MW0MWZ »

What are the advantages over ircDDBGateway ?
Andy

73 de MW0MWZ
http://pistar.uk
MI0PYN

Post by MI0PYN »

Hi Andy,

QnetGateway has been written with the routing possibilities of D-Star more front and centre, as well as having some features which allow limiting of the disturbances that can be caused by nuisance operators, such as limiting the ability of specific callsigns to change the reflector the repeater/hotspot is linked to temporarily.

I don't think it's necessarily a case of advantages one over the other, but experimentation and testing of alternatives. I understand there will be some work involved and am happy to help out where I can.

Best 73,
Stefan MI0PYN
KA2Y

Post by KA2Y »

QnetGateway is, also, a much lighter software load. Current programming standards and techniques have helped make less software load on the processor.

Call sign routing hotspot to hotspot without using DStar reflectors is implemented. This is a feature that DStar intended but has been shunned by repeater owners - and now is working. It is intended to talk to a specific call sign, or a specific hotspot. Quite impressive.
MW0MWZ
Site Admin

Post by MW0MWZ »

I'm not going to make a promise I can't keep, I have already looked at QnetGateway, I'm certainly considering it.
Andy

73 de MW0MWZ
http://pistar.uk
MI0PYN

Post by MI0PYN »

Hi Andy,

I understand that you can't make any promises, and I'm glad you are looking at QnetGateway.

Please let me know if I can help in any way.

Best 73
Stefan MI0PYN
K2IE

Post by K2IE »

Andy, if you're going to integrate Qnet Gateway, think about IPv6. The newest Qnet Gateway code supports full IPv6 connectivity.

This would be a tremendous feature.