Pi-Star Dashboard License Agreement

Suggest new features here
kc7ngc

Pi-Star Dashboard License Agreement

Post by kc7ngc »

Pi-Star Dashboard and Components Authored by Andy need a clear License agreement.

So while I am aware the majority of the PI-Star image is made up of linux and many other open source programs. The pieces that make Pi-Star what it is are the Pi-Star Dashboard and scripts written by Andy. https://github.com/AndyTaylorTweet

The bits and pieces that Andy have written contain a copyright but no reference to a license agreement on terms of use etc. Since its on github it falls under some generic GitHub terms of use allow people to view, fork it, but doesn't actually give permission to use the code. According to Github's terms of service it means the following applies: https://choosealicense.com/no-permission/

The lack of a defined license on the project leaves the use of Pi-Star in a grey area. For most hobbyist they are fine with that grey area but it causes problems when used by Ham Radio clubs that are incorporated non-for-profit entities or academic institutions.

For example I have to fill out software use documentation when developing some of my teaching curriculum. So institution can make sure I am not using software illegal without a proper license. Currently I have to check the box next to "Not Defined and/or Conflicted" which keeps me from using the Pi-Star dashboard as part of a lesson plan.

A simple addition of a LICENSE file or basic terms of use would help people such as myself. Thanks
VK7HSE

Re: Pi-Star Dashboard License Agreement

Post by VK7HSE »

Most of the backend is GPL, but if it's a concern for you, you can always clone Andy's github for the dashboard (links you have already mentioned) and submit a pull request with the changes that you feel suite. It's then up to Andy to approve or modify or decline.

By doing it this way you have effectively put your contribution towards the development and improvement of Pi-star

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

kc7ngc

Post by kc7ngc »

I am currently using a raspbian buster build as that was already preapproved for use by another faculty member. Then have compiled all the mmdvmhost, nextion screen, etc and have that working. Just would be nice if could use the full Pi-star image in the curriculum.

I contribute to many different open source projects so am very familiar with forking and doing pull requests. Some projects even go as far as having you sign a contributor agreement prior to pull request being accepted. So I know every project is different.

I realize I could submit a change with a license agreement via a pull request. Just don't really feel comfortable suggesting a licensing agreement and terms of service as that is a very subjective and personal thing.
KE0FHS

Post by KE0FHS »

Andy has shared this before on the forum, so I don't think I'll be out of place be sharing; You can look him up on QRZ to get his email address.

I'm pretty sure if you email him and explain that you need to fill out software use documentation for teaching curriculum purposes, he'll let you know what the terms are. And perhaps that will inspire him to add a license file.
73, Toshen, KE0FHS
Playing with Pi-Star (unofficial notes about setting up and using Pi-Star):
https://amateurradionotes.com/pi-star.htm
w7efs

Post by w7efs »

Not directly related to the OP's question, but one observes an apparent typographical error in the page source "Author" meta data:
<meta name="generator" content="index 20191105" />
<meta name="Author" content="Hans-J. Barthen (DL5DI), Kim Huebel (DV9VH) and Andy Taylor (MW0MWZ)" />
<meta name="Description" content="Pi-Star Dashboard" />
<meta name="KeyWords" content="MW0MWZ,MMDVMHost,ircDDBGateway,D-Star,ircDDB,Pi-Star,Blackwood,Wales,DL5DI,DG9VH" />

qrz.com has no entry for DV9VH ... credit where credit is due department. Easily fixed in the next dashboard update.
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

Kim's call is DG9VH

It's a typo. Which will most likely now get corrected.

Andrew M1DNS, (Mod)

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
VK7HSE

Post by VK7HSE »

Already has if you take a look at the source for index.php

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk