Suggest new features here
iw7dvm

Post by iw7dvm »

Last edited by iw7dvm on Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Re: TH-D74, D-Star position and v3.4.17

Post by M1DNS »

3.4.** isn't seeing anymore feature additions. All production is now with 4.1.0 currently RC7. It's still being supported. In should any issues arise, it will be addressed and fixed but 3.4.** isn't getting any added feature updates.

Also the underlying OS raspbian jessy is out of support with both raspbian and the Pi foundation.
It's not likely you'll see this without updating to 4.1.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
AF6VN

Post by AF6VN »

M1DNS wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:47 pm Also the underlying OS raspbian jessy is out of support with both raspbian and the Pi foundation.
Think you meant Debian for both uses of Raspbian there...

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber
iw7dvm

Post by iw7dvm »

Last edited by iw7dvm on Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

iw7dvm wrote:
M1DNS wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:47 pm
If v3.4 is obsolete.
Note I use my wording very carefully so not to give the impression 3.4 is obsolete. Yet you still arrived at that conclusion. It isnt obsolete. It is still being maintained, it just isn't seeing the development and new features that the current 4.1 is getting.

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
iw7dvm

Post by iw7dvm »

M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

iw7dvm wrote:
I don't understand this repulsion towards something that should be since the beginning. I'm not asking a new digital mode, conversion or something other. :?
It's in no ways a repulsion. We just need to look at the time stamps.
If I remember correctly (and I might go totally off base here, but) Kenwood enabled GPS in the radio via a firmware update a long time after the radio launch. If it wasn't a feature when 3.4.** was written, or if it was still in its infancy. It wouldn't have been there to be written in.

It's like me asking ford why they didnt fit a 6 speed gearbox and cruise control into my 1973 Capri. Given its an everyday standard today, it was not back when the car was first launched.
If the feature of the radio didn't exist to make it into what was released at the time, it's not going to be there.

Similarly you wouldn't expect you local TV broadcaster to update your 1960's B+W television to work with today's HD broadcasts.

You might be able to convince Andy to make it available with 3.4 with more users asking for it in 3.4, it will be after all his decision to do so, but. as stated earlier, whilst it's still being maintained, and anything that breaks will be fixed but generally 3.4 isn't seeing any new features and resources have now been moved to 4.1

I'll turn this around if I may and ask why you are reluctant to update to 4.1?

Andrew M1DNS, (Mod)

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
iw7dvm

Post by iw7dvm »

M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

iw7dvm wrote:
I hope that Andy will read this thread, maybe he'll be more reasonable, who knows Image

Maybe my English is a bit bad, I'll quote a sentence from myself two posts ago:

It isn't my "direct" problem, all my personal hotspots hold v4.1 . But there're lots of "lazy" sysops that manage their systems with very low interest (and capabilities).

Problems starting when me (and all other TH-D74 users) transmit through a repeater that is running 3.4.17 (90% of them).
If it isn't clear, I can try to explain in other words.
It wasn't my intent to be unreasonable. My intention of making you aware 3.4 wouldn't be seeing any more features added hardly seems unreasonable.

No your English is fine.
It was me who actually didn't pay attention or register that part of ur post.

And yes, I can see having the local repeaters holding off at 3.4 can be an issue for you and others using them.

Maybe you can persuade them that updating to 4.1 doesn't need to fill them with fear. Seeing ur running it yourself hopefully without fail or issue.

Your request is here and in the correct place. so it's really up to Andy now if he does anything with it.

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.