MMDVMHOST FM mode implementation

Suggest new features here
WA1OKB

Re: MMDVMHOST FM mode implementation

Post by WA1OKB »

Now the next question is.... How much of a stretch would it be to add Echolink support to the FM mode, so that that dual analog/digital repeater can also do Echolink on the FM side? (Yes, the more we get, the more we want LOL)
W4EAE

Post by W4EAE »

I have an MMDVM repeater built with two mobile radios, a duplexer, and an RB STM32-DVM board. I readily accept that when it comes to the broader field of Pi-Star users, I am in an incredibly small minority.

Several months ago, I configured my Pi-Star repeater for FM by editing the pertinent section of the /etc/mmdvmhost file. For me, this was largely an experiment, but the machine has gotten some use as a local FM repeater.

Updates and gui changes to the configuration which touch /etc/mmdvmhost do break the configuration, but it is not often that make changes anyway.

I would settle for Pi-Star leaving that portion of /etc/mmdvmhost alone, maybe adding an FM indicator in the dashboard, and calling that FM implementation.
MW0MWZ
Site Admin

Post by MW0MWZ »

The config page *shouldnt* touch the [FM] section of the config, if it is doing, can you work with me on that so that i can iron out any bugs...
Also for showing when its in FM mode - again if you can work with me (ideally get me SSH access to the box) I can see what the logs look like and get that added in.
Andy

73 de MW0MWZ
http://pistar.uk
W4EAE

Post by W4EAE »

Thank you for the quick response.

And, apologies.

First off, I have been working on several things at one time, and confused a few things. Config changes and updates DO NOT break the FM repeater in MMDVMHost. (The other project was setting multiple static DG-IDs on YCS servers--which are broken by config changes and upgrades).

Additionally, it doesn't appear that MMDVMHost logs anything for FM activity; so including it in the dashboard would require querying the MMDVM board. This is likely more than you want to bite off.
W5TSC

Post by W5TSC »

Im one of those that would love to have fm2dmr abilities but i'll be the first to admit that im just to stupid to do it. I do however, appreciate the product you all have created and continue to develop. the hotspot is the first time i ever thought about a pi.. now i have a few different uses for them.. im evolving but its sloooow and painful sometimes
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

W5TSC wrote:Im one of those that would love to have fm2dmr abilities but i'll be the first to admit that im just to stupid to do it. I do however, appreciate the product you all have created and continue to develop. the hotspot is the first time i ever thought about a pi.. now i have a few different uses for them.. im evolving but its sloooow and painful sometimes
It cant be done without extra hardware.
Theres no vocoding done in pistar or mmdvm install. The fm ability is a totally seperate thing, standalone and cannot be ran as fm2... you would need to integrate an ambe chip into the hardware design which then adds to its complexity and price.

Sent via smoke signals from my SM-G935F M1DNS (Admin)

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
NI9K

Post by NI9K »

W4EAE wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:11 pm I have an MMDVM repeater built with two mobile radios, a duplexer, and an RB STM32-DVM board. I readily accept that when it comes to the broader field of Pi-Star users, I am in an incredibly small minority.

Several months ago, I configured my Pi-Star repeater for FM by editing the pertinent section of the /etc/mmdvmhost file. For me, this was largely an experiment, but the machine has gotten some use as a local FM repeater.

Updates and gui changes to the configuration which touch /etc/mmdvmhost do break the configuration, but it is not often that make changes anyway.

I would settle for Pi-Star leaving that portion of /etc/mmdvmhost alone, maybe adding an FM indicator in the dashboard, and calling that FM implementation.
I have a similar setup as you mention above STM32DVM V4 Board with the latest firmware and its currently operating as a Simplex Hotspot, I don't have a duplexer and another radio yet but its working great for DMR and DSTAR. The Radio connected is an ID-880H working via the 9600 PKT jack. I've tried getting FM Setup and working with the default settings however I never see the FM LED Light up on the STM32DVM Board when I attempt to key the repeater with the specified tone. I'm wondering if this is perhaps because I'm operating this only as a Simplex Node or if I just have something set incorrectly. If the FM Repeater just acts a passthru I can see where not having another radio could prevent this from working but I'm not exactly sure how the FM Mode actually works.

Would you be able to share some additional information on the Radios you are using and perhaps your config from the FM Section of MMDVMHOST?

Thanks!

-Nick
W5TSC

Post by W5TSC »

M1DNS, oh definitely. like I said, I'm learning and evolving, slowly and sometimes painfully but I haven't given up! I did get an asl node up and going, though its not quite what id hoped for, it has helped me find the path i was looking for. asl-->dvswitch and then hotspot to dmr/p25 radio. I'm almost timid to go back in and mess with the conf again just now so it may be a minute! ha! I also learned very quickly that a maxtrac, while a good unit, isn't really the best fit for the way i want to use my node. instead, a cdm is better equipped as it will channel steer and allow H/L power settings per channel. my goal is more to be able to tune my favorite repeaters(one of which is 80mi away and another just over 100mi) and be able to rx/tx via hotspot when away from my home area.

yes, off topic. simply explaining that i understood the hardware limitations finally and found what i needed to do to meet my goals

yall have a good one.