backup dmr-master

Suggest new features here
SV2HRW

backup dmr-master

Post by SV2HRW »

Hello everybody...!
What do you think about asking from software engineers, to add in pi-star, an option for a backup dmr-master...?
Wouldn’t it be great in case of a server drop down...?
Let me give you an example
Let’s say I want to be connected on the Spanish network ONLY. Lets say the spanish network has two servers, one dmo and one repeaters... I have a hotspot and I’m connected on dmo... And the dmo drops down.... I would like to have a backup server that would connect me automatically to the backup server I select, that of course supports the Spanish talkgroups, Just until the recovery. And then it would be great to connect me back to the first master
(Hope it’s something that can be done)
AF6VN

Re: backup dmr-master

Post by AF6VN »

Off-hand, that would require some sort of polling loop that continuously attempts to connect to your desired primary server. Nasty overhead on smaller processors, and heavier network traffic.

It should also probably have some minimum time-outs before attempting to switch servers, as a mere loss or delay in packets should not trigger a server swap. Unless there is a keep-alive message in the protocol, the only way you can really tell if a server is down is by the lack of acknowledgement to packets you send TO the server -- a lack of packets FROM the server could just mean "no body is active at this time".

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber
SV2HRW

Post by SV2HRW »

Thanks for the answer!
You see, I'm not an expert, so I can't understand the difficulties in programming... I just have an idea, that I believe could be usefull..! And I wanted to share it with people that might be able to take it and make it possible :)
AK4FA

Post by AK4FA »

We'd find this useful as well, something like downlink request received, failed to log in to DMR master, try backup DMR master, switch to backup DMR master for 2 hours etc.

Currently in our commercial repeaters we set up profiles in the repeater that can connect to a backup master, have the feature in pi-star would be useful.