when an update of the binaries?

Suggest new features here
IZ8GUR

when an update of the binaries?

Post by IZ8GUR »

Hi,

i noticed that many pistar binaries have outdated.
Expecially MMDMVHost, DMRGateway binary and respective ini file.

Is there a particular reason why this was done?
MW0MWZ
Site Admin

Re: when an update of the binaries?

Post by MW0MWZ »

just one word - stability, we do update them from time to time, but if I manage to push an update and the system doesn't add the extra stuff to your config files, oh boy do I hear about it.

It wont be long before new MMDVMHost and DMRGateway binaries are coming.
Andy

73 de MW0MWZ
http://pistar.uk
G8SEZ

Post by G8SEZ »

MW0MWZ wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:32 am just one word - stability, we do update them from time to time, but if I manage to push an update and the system doesn't add the extra stuff to your config files, oh boy do I hear about it.

Out of interest Andy, do you have a method of deciding which G4LKX repo changes you include? When you say stability I'm assuming that you must have test code running on your own systems to try this out before rolling it out to all and sundry, but I also see that some of what is going on requires coordination of several different things (DNS changes for instance) so if you have time to explain the process I'd be interested.
--

Brian G8SEZ
MW0MWZ
Site Admin

Post by MW0MWZ »

G8SEZ wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:34 pm
MW0MWZ wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:32 am just one word - stability, we do update them from time to time, but if I manage to push an update and the system doesn't add the extra stuff to your config files, oh boy do I hear about it.

Out of interest Andy, do you have a method of deciding which G4LKX repo changes you include? When you say stability I'm assuming that you must have test code running on your own systems to try this out before rolling it out to all and sundry, but I also see that some of what is going on requires coordination of several different things (DNS changes for instance) so if you have time to explain the process I'd be interested.
Binaries can be separated from most of the rest of the system, most of the time - so the DNS changes is more of a dashboard change than binaries.
On the actual binary side, it's more the test process that is painful, I occasionally miss stuff.

Now that I have an auto build process, that does make testing much more simple, but still I can miss things.
Config changes are the most painful part of the update, because I need to make sure the dashboard can handle those before the binary arrives, in some cases they are a flat out show stopper until I engineer a way around them (I have one of those right now with MMDVMHost).

I will have a look at the update script today and see if I can slide the change in automatically on update to make the ride as pain free as possible for us all. Apart from MMDVMHost and DMRGateway most of the rest of the binaries are pretty close to being right up to date, also remember that for the gateways, many of the commits are host file updates and not changes to the program code - so being a few commits behind is often cosmetic.
Andy

73 de MW0MWZ
http://pistar.uk
G8SEZ

Post by G8SEZ »

MW0MWZ wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:58 am
Config changes are the most painful part of the update, because I need to make sure the dashboard can handle those before the binary arrives, in some cases they are a flat out show stopper until I engineer a way around them (I have one of those right now with MMDVMHost).

I will have a look at the update script today and see if I can slide the change in automatically on update to make the ride as pain free as possible for us all.
I assume this is the extra line in one of the ini files you mentioned somewhere else. For me this need to apply changes when there appear to have been none is a bit of a pain but I now do it after every manual update. Perhaps having versioning for config files and forcing an automatic 'apply changes' if the config version is lower than some stored level would sort this out, you know the code whereas I only have a limited grasp of a few parts of it.
--

Brian G8SEZ