BrandMaster Talk Group Black List

Suggest new features here
kb0qnk

BrandMaster Talk Group Black List

Post by kb0qnk »

It would be great to black list a brandmeister talk group or more then one from being able to be allowed
on a repeater or hotspot.
Yes a Brandmeister Master can do this for a user but there may be a time that it needs to be re opened
and the ability to not have to bother a volunteer to open and close a talk group would be handy.
I know as a volunteer I would hate to have many request come and go all the time. That is all a master would
get done.
Please take this into consideration as I am sure there are many users that would benefit and appreciate this as
a feature.
kb0qnk

Re: BrandMaster Talk Group Black List

Post by kb0qnk »

Its a good thing I am NOT asking your opinion. That's the problem I am asking for features
and in no way do I need you to chime in the way you did. A simple explanation of how the
software worked and that I need to talk to MMDVM was great. But to tell me the idea is flawed,
well is just another opinion of yours not asked for. well since we are talking about my flawed ideas,
the idea of you saying no one would be interested is just not true. I have seen several people ask
for a black or white list. And I may have miss spoke about always asking for a talk group to be blacklisted
then taken off and on again. I guess what I was trying to say in the event someone wanted to unblock then
relist, would be crazy to keep bugging a master. And yes, I have a couple blacklisted at master level.
was just saying would be nice to not have to bother a volunteer if it was a opinion.

So when you replay to others please dont leave a nasty taste in there mouth like you did mine. You are the
reason a lot of people are leaving such a great hobby or dont want to get involved. So please next time stick
to the facts, leave your personal feelings out, as well as your opinion. If I or anyone else wanted your opinion or personal feelings
I would have asked something like (do you think, or maybe on the lines of what about your opinion)

I'm sure this post will be taken down rather quickly due to your not liking what I had to say but at least you were
able to read it.
I wish you well in the future. Hope to talk to you soon on DMR.
Cheers.
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

As both an admin here in pistar and BM U.K. team. Im in complete agreement with jason. If you put up a repeater for folks to use in ur local area, then why close down where they can choose to connect? Just dont put up the repeater.

it seems strange you would want to help ur community, by controlling ur community.

Anyways its a vote thing. If more vote it up, by also requesting it... we'll look at given you easier access in how to do so.

Sent via smoke signals from my SM-G935F M1DNS (Admin)

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
N6MIK

Post by N6MIK »

de M1DNS: "If you put up a repeater for folks to use in ur local area, then why close down where they can choose to connect?"

Where I am in Southern California, there are many, many DMR repeaters with overlapping coverage and the same or very similar set of static talkgroups enabled. It is not uncommon for our statewide or regional talkgroup to be static on 10 high-level repeaters. Users that want to use these groups certainly have access to them that way. Users hoping to get time on another talkgroup are often not so fortunate due to the popularity of the talkgroups in question. ;)

In my case, being able to blacklist certain talkgroups would promote spectrum efficiency by not permitting a talkgroup with redundant coverage from being used by a 'dynamic' user that could easily and successfully use another repeater where the TG is static.

Consequently, my repeater remains open and available for additional talkpaths that are not redundant to those in the overlapping coverage area.

Here's my vote for the ability to do this!
N6MIK

Post by N6MIK »

Thanks - I was unaware of this.

If a talkgroup is blocked at the network, the repeater itself would continue to repeat the 'blocked' TG locally and all associated timers (TG hold, mode hold etc...) would still be in play, correct?

If that's the case, I'll still vote for the OP's request with the thought that implementing the ability to block talkgroups at the endpoint would prevent kerchucks etc. from locking the repeater to the blocked talkgroup for the duration of the timers. Thinking this through more, it really should be in the software, and applicable to any mode....
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

"If you put up a repeater for folks to use in ur local area, then why close down where they can choose to connect?"

Where I am in Southern California, there are many, many DMR repeaters with overlapping coverage and the same or very similar set of static talkgroups enabled. It is not uncommon for our statewide or regional talkgroup to be static on 10 high-level repeaters. Users that want to use these groups certainly have access to them that way. Users hoping to get time on another talkgroup are often not so fortunate due to the popularity of the talkgroups in question. ;)

[/guote]

The solution is simple then.
Do not set any TG's as static. That way if they ate not being used the current tg will drop off after 15mins if no one user is activly using it.
After it drops s user can go where ever they want.

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

KE7FNS wrote:
It was in the software back in 2016, it was removed. Theres probably a good reason why it was removed, like the ability to block it from the network was decided.

I don't think it is applicable to other modes, only DMR.

It was. You had tg whitelists and blacklists but it was thought that it was not in the interests to have it remain for the reasons we're giving above.

Just as an fyi generally this can now be done within drmgateways linking rules.
You can silence individual tgs,
blocks of tgs, to_from
Or actual whole countries using their mcc area codes.

Which is what i was hinting at in an earlier reply re: giving you more control if there was enough request for it.
Realistically, Its most prob. not something we'll do with just a couple, three people asking for it, as its a hell of lot of work to do. Much easier to take a BM support ticket and ask them to instigate it, but remember to give good reasons. As like us they will also need persuading. Image

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.