Zumspot firmware upgrade problem

Help and support for ZUMSpot Hardware
EB2AQH

Zumspot firmware upgrade problem

Post by EB2AQH » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:14 pm

Hi all,
I have bought in Amazon (Europe) a MMDVM hotspot running on a Raspy Zero W called "Vbestlife MMDVM Hotspot". The hotspot come already configured and I only need to create WIFI access and introduce my personal data.
I updated pi-star to the last verion 3.4.17 and everything OK.
Problems started when I tried to upgrade firmware.
In the dashboard apperaed ZUMSpot hat ver. 1.3.7 and I tried to go to lastest one using
sudo pistar-zumspotflash rpi
Process finised OK and after restarting new version 1.47 aperars on the Dashboard but with no TX and RX.
I repeated the upgrade process many times wihout positive results.
I don't know if its possible to downgrade firmware to previous version 1.37.
Anyway I made a trial upgrading firmare with command
sudo pistar-mmdvmhshatflash hs_hat
Process also finished OK and in the dashboard nnow I have HS_Hat v.1.4.17 version working OK.
My questions are:
- Is possible to install two different firmare in the same board (ZUMSpot and HS_hat)?
- IS possible to downgrade to previous verision ZumSpot v.1.3.7 that came initially intalled?
Thanks for you support.
Inigo
EB2AQH

KE7FNS

Re: Zumspot firmware upgrade problem

Post by KE7FNS » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:11 pm

EB2AQH wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:14 pm
- Is possible to install two different firmare in the same board (ZUMSpot and HS_hat)?
Yes. There are build configuration differences between the Zumspot firmware and the HS_Hat firmware.

https://github.com/juribeparada/MMDVM_H ... spot_RPi.h
vs.
https://github.com/juribeparada/MMDVM_H ... M_HS_Hat.h

Most MMDVM boards use the same microprocessor (STM32) so yes you can successfully flash a firmware that is not compatible with the board you are using.
EB2AQH wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:14 pm
- IS possible to downgrade to previous verision ZumSpot v.1.3.7 that came initially intalled?
Yes, but that is highly not recommended. The simplest way would be to download the precompiled firmware for your board, and then flash it manually, you cannot use the built in pi-star scripts.

https://github.com/juribeparada/MMDVM_H ... tag/v1.3.7

Since you have it working on the HS_Hat firmware, don't worry about it and just leave it that way. You are better off running the latest release that includes new features and many bugfixes.

I suspect you have a Jumbospot board which isn't a Zumspot compatible configuration in the latest version of the firmware. Maybe in earlier versions (which I am not as familiar with) they were grouped under the same configuration settings which is why it reported ZumSpot v.1.3.7, but in a later version it has diverged into two separate configurations.
If someones previous actions are any indication of their future actions, then I predict the deletion and removal of access will happen at any moment. 7-11-2020.

"07/13/20 This Website Has Been Taken Down" ... again :lol:

EB2AQH

Post by EB2AQH » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:09 am

Many Thanks for your answer and technical explanation.
You are right, better to leave as it is while it's working OK.
73's

Inigo
EB2AQH

KD4IIW

Post by KD4IIW » Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:47 am

What is the latest version of the Zumspot firmware?

Kenneth
N4VKF

KE7FNS

Post by KE7FNS » Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:20 am

KD4IIW wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:47 am
What is the latest version of the Zumspot firmware?
The latest is 1.5.1b, but it is a beta version.

1.4.17 is the latest official release.

Just run the scripts that come with pi-star to flash your modem (after you update and upgrade the hotspot to its latest version), it will install the correct version for you.
If someones previous actions are any indication of their future actions, then I predict the deletion and removal of access will happen at any moment. 7-11-2020.

"07/13/20 This Website Has Been Taken Down" ... again :lol: