Should I update ZumSpot FirmWare?

Help and support for ZUMSpot Hardware
N3ROY

Should I update ZumSpot FirmWare?

Post by N3ROY »

I am currently operating a ZumSpot with FIrmWare version 1.3.3. My hotspot is functioning well and is on SW version 4.1.5 which I believe is the most current. Is there any reason that I need to update the FirmWare to one of the more current versions? Typically I go for a “if it’s not broke, don’t fix it” approach.
G8SEZ

Re: Should I update ZumSpot FirmWare?

Post by G8SEZ »

Version 1.3.3 is really old, there have been a lot of fixes and improvements since then.

Version 1.5.2 should install automatically, you need to run the appropriate flash command for a Zumspot after logging in via SSH.
--

Brian G8SEZ
KE7FNS
Pi-Star Team

Re: Should I update ZumSpot FirmWare?

Post by KE7FNS »

N3ROY wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:17 pm Is there any reason that I need to update the FirmWare to one of the more current versions? Typically I go for a “if it’s not broke, don’t fix it” approach.
Its always the best practice to keep things updated in anything you own.

1.3.3 is from Feb 24, 2018. There have been many bug fixes and features added since 2018.

To update it run

Code: Select all

sudo pistar-zumspotflash
I haven't had any experience with a Zumspot that old, but the ones that I have used have the correct traces (pins 38 and 40) and go into bootloader mode automatically. So it should be a really simple process, however there is the possibility that you get the "failure to init" message, and if thats the case then you'll have to manually put it into bootloader mode to accept the flash.

Another thing to be aware of is the older firmware didn't block 435-438, and 145.8-146, and the newer firmware does, so if you update and now you don't hear anything make sure you are not in the blocked frequency ranges.
If someones previous actions are any indication of their future actions, then I predict the deletion and removal of access will happen at any moment. 7-11-2020.

"07/13/20 This Website Has Been Taken Down" ... again :lol: